my e-mailaddress





dinsdag 11 mei 2021

Het Boek /The Book

Mijn (echte) oma was een zeer vrome vrouw, ze bad altijd uitgebreid voor alle maaltijden en erna werd er een stukje uit de bijbel gelezen, de zogenaamde “Statenbijbel”. Maar ze zal ongetwijfeld vaker in haar bijbel gelezen hebben, in moeilijke (tijdens de beide wereldoorlogen) en minder moeilijke tijden, zie mijn opmerking onder mijn laatste blog bericht.
Voor ons (in de jaren ’50 nog heel kleine kinderen) was het archaïsche taalgebruik in de bijbel helemaal niet te volgen en daardoor zaten wij vaak te wiebelen op onze stoelen om zo snel mogelijk van tafel te kunnen gaan. Maar wij moesten blijven zitten totdat oma klaar was met lezen, en in die tijd moest je stil zijn en deed je dat braaf.
Jaren later, ergens halverwege de jaren ’90, kreeg ik van een broer van mij het verzoek om de Statenbijbel van oma op te knappen. Hij had Oma’s bijbel gekregen van mijn vader, jaren na oma’s overlijden. De bijbel was er echter nogal slecht aan toe en er moest een goede boekbinder aan te pas komen. In een naburig dorp werden boeken opnieuw ingebonden, dus dat gebeurde ook met de bijbel van oma.
 
My (RL) grandmother was a very devout woman, she always prayed extensively for all meals and afterwards a passage from the Bible was read, out of the so-called "Statenbijbel". But she will undoubtedly have read her bible more often, in difficult (during both world wars) and less difficult times, see my note at the end of my last blog post.
For us (very small children in the 50s) the archaic language of the bible was not at all understandable and therefore we often wobbled on our chairs to get off the table as quickly as possible. But we had to sit until Grandma finished reading, and during that time you had to be quiet and you did.
Years later, sometime in the mid 90s, a brother of mine asked me to fix up Grandma's State Bible. He had received Grandma's Bible from my father years after Grandma's death. However, the Bible was in pretty bad condition and it needed a good bookbinder. In a neighboring village, books were restored, so it happened to Grandma's Bible.


Het toeval wilde dat ik begin jaren ’90 tijdens een lokale hobbytentoonstelling een amateur boekbinder uit dat zelfde dorp was tegengekomen, en aan wie ik toentertijd gevraagd heb of ik ook kon leren boekbinden maar dan in mini. De man was erg aardig en hij heeft mij in een aantal bezoeken bij hem thuis geleerd hoe dat moest. In miniatuur heb ik toentertijd wat boekjes gemaakt, maar bij nader inzien vind ik ze te groot om te kunnen gebruiken in mijn mini boerderij (zie bovenstaande foto).
Lang verhaal kort: ik heb toen ik de bijbel van mijn Oma in miniatuur maakte, veel profijt gehad van die mini cursus in boekbinden. Na 30 jaar en met veel meer ervaring in zowel het werken in 1:12 schaal, als het inschatten van de grootte van voorwerpen, heb ik nu een poging gedaan om de bijbel van mijn oma na te maken in mini. In dit blog bericht: https://minimumloon.blogspot.com/2021/04/huisvlijt-en-het-naaikistje-van-tante.html , heb ik deze bijbel al genoemd, nu is hij klaar om in het hangkastje te komen liggen, tenminste…..als de woonkamer van de mini boerderij klaar is.
Ik zal jullie nu aan de hand van foto’s laten zien hoe ik deze (onbedrukte) bijbel gemaakt heb in miniatuur.
 
Coincidentally, in the early 90s, during a local hobby exhibition, I had met an amator bookbinder from that same village, and whom I asked at the time if I could also learn bookbinding, but in mini. The man was very kind and he taught me how to do that in a number of visits to his home. At the time I made some miniature books, but on closer inspection I think they are too big to use in my mini farm (see photo above).
Long story short: When I made my Grandma's bible in miniature, I benefited a lot from that mini course in bookbinding. After 30 years and with much more experience in both working in 1:12 scale and estimating the size of objects, I have now done an attempt to recreate my grandma's bible in mini. In this blog post: https://minimumloon.blogspot.com/2021/04/huisvlijt-en-het-naaikistje-van-tante.html , I already mentioned this specific bible, now it is ready to take place in the hanging cupboard, at least ... .. when the living room of the mini farm is ready.
I will now show you on the basis of photos how I made this (unprinted) bible in miniature.

Eerst heb ik de binnenste schutbladen gesneden van dun karton (en een paar van printpapier, zie later), met daar tussen het gedeelte voor de rug. Voor de binnenkant heb ik een extra paar schutbladen gesneden. De gedeelten die gevouwen gaan worden, heb ik eerst gerild.
Tegelijkertijd heb ik een aantal losse bladzijden geknipt uit een heel oud schoolschrift (waarschijnlijk uit de jaren ’60) met vergeeld blad. In totaal zeker 30 bladzijden, hun formaat is ongeveer 20 x 15 mm.
 
First I cut the inner endpapers from very thin cardboard (and one pair of printing paper, see later on), with the part for the spine in between, and in one piece. For the inside I cut an extra pair of endpapers. I first creased the parts that will be folded.
At the same time I cut a number of loose pages from a very old school notebook (probably from the 1960s) with yellowed leaves. At least 30 pages in total, their size is about 20 x 15 mm.


Al deze mini bladzijden heb ik zo recht mogelijk op elkaar gestapeld, daarna heb ik de rug ingesmeerd met lijm en goed laten drogen. Hiervoor heb ik weer een Lego mal gebouwd, waartussen het geheel haaks kon liggen drogen.
In de tussentijd heb ik met verdunde acrylverf een stukje stof van een oude witte zakdoek op kleur gemaakt. Veel donkergrijsblauw met een tipje zwart erin, omdat deze donkergekleurde bijbel aan de randen was verkleurd door het vaak ter hand te nemen in de loop der jaren. Werk niet met teveel water anders vervloeien de kleuren onderling teveel.
 
I stacked all these mini pages as straight as possible on top of each other, then I smeared the spine with glue and let it dry well. For this I built another Lego mold, between which the whole could dry at right angles.
In the meantime I cut off a piece of fabric from an old white handkerchief, for coloring it by using diluted acrylic paint. Lots of dark gray-blue with a hint of black in it, because this dark-colored Bible had discolored at the edges from handling it often over the years. Do not work with too much water, otherwise the colors will merge too much.

Na goed drogen heb ik eerst de (zeer dunne kartonnen) band in zijn geheel erin gelijmd en de hoekjes schuin afgeknipt, de randen naar binnen gevouwen en vastgelijmd, let er op dat je recht op de draad knipt, vouwt en plakt.
 
After letting it dry well, I first glued the (very thin card board) band in its entirety and cut the corners diagonally, folded the edges inwards and glued, make sure that you cut, fold and glue in straight direction of the fabric.

Na drogen kun je het extra paar schutbladen op de binnenkanten op de band lijmen, ik heb deze van tevoren al een randje gegeven met distress inkt.
 
After drying you can glue the extra pair of endpapers on the inside on the band, in advance I have already given them an edge using distress ink.



Om het boekblok af te werken heb ik de band van printpapier eromheen gelijmd, zie foto.
Direct daarna, terwijl de lijm nog vochtig was, heb ik de langste kant van de bladzijden op een prikpen gelegd, en vastgezet met een elastiekje, zie foto. Op die manier krijgt het boekblok een beetje een holle vorm, zoals vaak te zien is bij oudere boeken.
Hierna heb ik gelijk de boekband van stof eromheen gelijmd en alles weer tegen een prikpen aan gelegd, vastgezet met een elastiekje en een nacht over laten drogen.
 
To finish the book block I glued the band, made of printing paper, around it, see photo.
Immediately afterwards, while the glue was still wet, I put the longest side of the pages against a lancing device and secured it with a rubber band, see photo. That way, the book block gets a bit of a concave shape, as can often be seen with older books.
After this I immediately glued the fabric book binding around the book block and put everything back against a lancing device, secured it with a rubber band and let it dry overnight.




Een nieuwe kwast van deze soort heeft ongeveer 12 mm haar, dit oudje heeft nog nèt 4-5 mm 😁
A new brush of this sort has about 12 mm long brush hairs, this oldie has just about 4-5 mm 😁


De volgende dag vond ik de bijbel precies in de gewenste vorm terug op mijn werktafel, nu wilde ik die bladzijden nog meer verouderen gebruik maken van met water verdunde (soft)pastelkrijt.
Ik heb hiervoor drie kleuren gebruikt, gele oker, goudoker en omber naturel. Werk in zeer dunne laagjes kleur, want het wordt gauw te veel en dat kun je niet meer weghalen, dus kleuren opbouwen is beter dan alles te moeten verwijderen!
Ik gebruikte één van mijn lievelingskwastjes, want ik werk heel graag met mijn oudste kwasten, die compleet afgesleten zijn maar waar ik vaak goede effecten mee bereik 😉!
Zó zien de bladzijden er uit na bewerking met dunne laagjes softpastel.
 
The next day I found back the Bible exactly in the desired shape on my work table, now I wanted to age those pages even more, using water-diluted (soft) pastels.
I used three colors for this, yellow ocher, gold ocher and umber natural. Work in very thin layers of color, because it quickly becomes too much and you can no longer remove that, so building up colors is better than having to remove everything!
I used one of my favorite brushes, becaue I really enjoy working with my oldest brushes, which are completely worn down, but with which I often achieve good effects 😉!
This is how the book pages look like, after editing with thin layers of softpastel.

Om de kaft van de bijbel een meer “gebruikt” uiterlijk te geven (lees vettig door het aanpakken in zovele jaren), heb ik de kaft bewerkt met crème was (voor krijtverf).
 
To give the cover of the bible a more "used" look (read just a little bit greasy by handling in so many years), I edited the cover with cream wax (for chalk paint). 







Het verschil: links mijn nieuwe zelfgemaakte mini boek anno 2021, rechts mijn oude zelfgemaakte mini boek uit begin jaren '90.
The difference: on left, my new self made mini book anno 2021, on the right my old self made mini book from the early 90s.

Als laatste heb ik er met goudkleurige acrylverf nog de restanten van letters op de voorkant van de kaft gezet. Hiervoor gebruikte ik een cocktailprikker met een scherp afgesneden puntje.
Ik hoop dat jullie deze foto-tutorial kunnen gebruiken voor jezelf. En nu is oma’s bijbel klaar om gelezen te worden.....
Blijf veilig en gezond, zorg goed voor elkaar en jezelf.
Dank voor jullie fijne en zeer gewaardeerde reacties, allemaal een fijne week toegewenst!

 
Finally, I put the remnants of letters on the front of the cover with gold-colored acrylic paint. For this I used a cocktail stick with a very sharp cut off tip.
I hope you can use this photo-tutorial for yourself. And now Grandma's Bible is ready to be read.....
Stay safe and healthy, take care of each other and yourself.
Thank you for your kind and much appreciated comments, I wish you all a lovely week!

 
Ilona

16 opmerkingen:

Sheila zei

It looks absolutely wonderful!

The aging and gold make it so realistic. And I'm definitely going to remember that trick to give the pages and binding a slight curve. That's awesome!

Isabel Ruiz zei

Está claro que tu técnica para la miniaturas ha mejorado. La biblia ha quedado genial. Me ha gustado el truquito del tubo para dar forma al libro. Gracias.

BiWuBär zei

It was absolutely fascinating to follow you while you made this awesome bible. As always you did not miss a detail, whether it's the faded gold printing or the greasy cover. Stunning work - and thanks for the well explained tutorial. The idea of shaping the sheets into a concave form gave me a "Wow!"-moment, I've saved this for the day (in a very far away future) when I'll be making magical books again.

But despite the awesome method how you've created a miniature bible it was also very touching that this very important detail will now also be saved in the farm - as a manifested memory of your Grandma.

Hugs
Birgit

Angelika zei

Such a warmhearted story about your Grandma reading the bible. I can't wait to see your fabulous mini farmhouse finished and discover all those delicate perfect miniature items displayed inside. This bible is just awesome. I've never seen any better miniature book. Hope you are all well. Hugs, Angelika.

Jodi Hippler zei

The bible replica is wonderful, Ilona! Very special! Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial and including so many photos of the process. This will be so helpful in the future when I attempt to create my grandma's kitchen and her cookbooks! I am currently in debate with myself on which project to start after Tasha's kitchen. I am stuck between two new ideas, one of which is grandma's kitchen, and trying to finish abandoned projects. Seeing these sentimental posts about your grandma and life with her has me leaning toward immersing myself in my own sweet memories! 💗

elizabeth s zei

Reproducing your grandma's Beloved Bible was fascinating to watch and to read about, Ilona!
I am Totally Impressed not only by the professional outcome and procedure of how you made it but also by the story of your childhood remembrances of it! So often what we remember as an ordeal to be endured when we were children, becomes a fond memory which we truly cherish when we have become adults.

elizabeth

PILAR6373 zei

Ilona, has hecho un perfecto trabajo con la réplica de la biblia de tu abuela, el resultado es inmejorable! el tono, el aspecto, tanto dela cubierta como de las páginas, nos hace ver perfectamente el paso de horas y horas de lectura!
Besos.

Sherrill zei

This is a wonderful technique for making books, especially books with a vintage look. Your Oma’s Bible looks perfect; thanks so much!

rosethe-minima zei

Ilona ta technique est très intéressante. La bible en miniature est une belle réussite, une parfaire reproduction d'un livre qui a eu une longue vie et dont les pages on été tournées encore et encore...
Bon week-end !
Prudence. Bises.

miniacollection zei

I had an inkling that the book would be a bible. You achieved to make a perfect one, the colours and the worn look are amazing. Like you when I was a child we children had to be quiet at the table.
Geneviève

Contrastes-Rosa Mª zei

Me encanta ver el desarrollo de tus trabajos pues nos transportas a las vivencias con tus abuelos en la granja, es puro sentimiento ; queda reflejado en cada trabajo de forma perfecta, como en esta biblia, el envejecimiento está genial. Cuídate y gracias por mostrarlo. Besos

Fabiola zei

Beautiful books.

Anna zei

As always, your attention to the fine detail is amazing and delightful.
Thank you so much for putting this fabulous tutorial together.
Hugs,
Anna

Drora's minimundo zei


Dear Ilona,
Thank you for another great post. it's amazing how you manage to make a fantastic tutorial about book-binding. The bible is simply stunning.
Hugs, Drora

Daydreamer zei

Dear Ilona, I am so late to comment.... I thought I had left a comment here earlier! But never mind.... I am in Awe of your skills! Not just the making things... but the seeing what details to include! The greasy cover! The curved pages... you get all those important parts and your book is Amazingly realistic! I am glad you had that bookbinding class all those years ago. I had a class like that in "craft" class when I was a teenager and I remember all the steps... even sewing the pages together! I still have the book I made in the class... it is a treasured possession. And "someday" I will get to making more books in mini.... when I have the time to work out all the little details! I will look at what you have done and hope my books will end up as beautiful as yours!
Well done! And stay well and keep making minis! :):):)

Megan Schetsche zei

Dear Ilona, your granmother's Bible is just superb! Now I want to put everything down and make miniature books. Thank you for the tutorial. Actually, I suck at papercrafts :-P so I should stick with the things I do best. You are so versatile and what a privilege to learn some techniques from a real book binder. I always say that nothing you learn is wasted. Who knew back then that you would need the knowledge to replicate your grandma's Bible in miniature?
Wishing you a lovely weekend. I hope the sun is shinging and it is becoming warmer where you are. Yikes, the third week of May is over and my father in law says he has hardly seen the sun in Germany.