my e-mailaddress





vrijdag 21 mei 2021

De eerste deur / The first door


Mijn zelfgemaakte twee vlaks paneeldeur in miniatuur
My selfmade two panelled door in miniature

 

Inmiddels ben ik begonnen met het maken van mijn eerste twee vlaks paneeldeur voor in de miniboerderij, dat is de deur die de opkamer met de woonkamer verbindt (zie plattegrond de deur tussen de kamers 8 en 9). Ik zal alle ramen en deuren zelf moeten gaan maken omdat ze eenvoudigweg niet te koop zijn in miniatuur.
Het was nogal een gepuzzel om uit te vinden hoe ik de deur zou kunnen maken, want als het een beetje lukt, wil ik graag een deur maken die ook echt open kan draaien. En het liefst met scharnieren.
Van al dit soort paneeldeuren in de 1:1 boerderij heb ik maar twee redelijk duidelijke foto’s. Alle (vurenhouten) deuren waren bewerkt met de verftechniek ‘houten’ genaamd. Op die manier kon men met verf het hout een andere uitstraling geven, in dit geval moest het eikenhout voorstellen….. Deze foto’s bekijkend, hmmmm, ik denk niet dat net nou zo’n beste schilder was in de 1:1 boerderij, zie bovenstaande foto’s 😉.
 
Meanwhile I started making my first two panelled door, which will go in the mini farm, that 's the door connecting the up stairs room and the living room (see floor plan for the door between rooms 8 and 9). I will have to make all the windows and doors myself because they simply cannot be bought in miniature.
It was quite a puzzle to find out how I could make the door, because if it would work out, I would like to make a door that can actually open. And preferably with hinges.
I only have two reasonably clear photos of all this type of panel doors in the 1:1 farm. All (deal) doors were treated with the painting technique called (literally translated from Dutch) "painting fake wood grain". This way one could give the wood a different look using paint, in this case it had to represent oak wood….. Looking at these pictures, hmmmm, I think the painter in the RL farm wasn’t good at it, see pictures above 😉.




Het hout wat ik voor deze deur heb gebruikt is weer ‘t hout van de jaloezie uit de kringloopwinkel. Zoals ik al liet zien heb ik weer met het kruishout een profiel gekrast. Met een oude tandarts tool heb ik dit profiel wat dieper/duidelijker zichtbaar gemaakt.
In principe lopen de 1:1 profielen niet door op alle delen van deze twee vlaks paneeldeur (zie gele pijl op de foto hierboven), maar dit was onmogelijk om te doen met het kruishout. Ik zou dan op de millimeter moeten kunnen stoppen met profielen maken en aangezien er extra druk bij het krassen komt kijken EN ik bovendien niet kan zien wat ik doe, heb ik daar geen controle over, dus lopen de 1:12 profielen helemaal over alle deurdelen door.
 
The wood I used for this door is again the wood of a venetian blind from the thrift store. As I already showed, I scratched a profile with the marking gauge (thank you so much, Kris, for your kind words AND for looking this up for me). With an old dentist tool I made this profile a bit deeper/more visible.
On the 1:1 doors the profiles don't continue on all parts of this two panelled doors (see the yellow arrow on the picture above), but this was impossible to do with the marking gauge. I should be able to stop making profiles to the millimeter but since there is extra pressure involved in marking AND I also cannot see what I am doing, I have no control over that, so the 1:12 profiles go on all the way over all the door parts.


Vóórdat ik de deur in elkaar zou gaan zetten, wilde ik kijken of ik de verftechniek van het ‘houten’ zou kunnen imiteren in 1:12 schaal. Hiervoor had ik lichter en zeer dun fineerhout nodig, want de buitenrand is 2 mm dik. In mijn voorraad hout vond ik nog wat stukjes fineer van een zeer lichte houtsoort (geen idee wat voor soort het is) en heb geprobeerd om met een heel dun vulpotlood de nerven te tekenen.
 
Before I started to make the door, I wanted to see if I could imitate the painting technique of the "fake wood grain" in 1:12 scale. For this I needed lighter and very thin veneer wood, because the outer edge of the door is 2 mm thick. In my stask of wood I found few pieces of veneer of a very light wood type (no clue what sort it is) and tried to draw the grain with a very thin propelling pencil.


Ik wilde de buitenste rand, de omlijsting van de deur, twee keer maken met daar tussenin dat dunne fineer paneel met het nervenwerk erop. Op die manier wordt de deur ongeveer 5 mm dik, omgerekend naar 1:1 is dat te dik. Maar ik heb het voordeel dat alle kamers als losse kijkkasten tegen elkaar aan staan en de deuren dus de dikte van de wanden mogen hebben. De dikte van twee wanden tegen elkaar is 8 mm dik en als de deur 5 mm dik wordt, dan zie je daar niets van, laten we zeggen dat het een oude solide deur is 😉.
 
I wanted to make the outer edge, the frame of the door, twice with that thin veneer panel with fake grain in between. This way the finished door is about 5 mm thick, converted to 1: 1 that is too thick. But I have the advantage that all rooms are placed against each other like separate room boxes and the doors can therefore have the thickness of the walls. The thickness of two walls placed against each other is 8 mm thick and if the door becomes 5 mm thick, you won't see it, let’s say it’s an old solide door 😉.





Om de panelen van de deur te maken, bewerkt met de “houten” verftechniek, heb ik de buitenmaat van de deur genomen en dat uit fineer gesneden met een scherp hobby mes. Ik weet niet welke soort fineer het is, maar het daglicht schijnt er door nadat ik het tegen het licht hield. Daarom heb ik onder de panelen met de nerven een stukje 0,8 mm dik berken triplex gelijmd, nu was het geheel minder doorschijnend.
 
To make the panels of the door, edited with the "fake wood" paint technique, I took the outside dimensions of the door and cut that out from veneer with a sharp hobby knife. I don't know what kind of veneer it is, but the daylight shines through after I held it up to the light. That is why I glued a piece of 0.8 mm thick birch plywood under the panels with the veins, now the whole was less transparent.


Voordat ik de deur in elkaar gezet heb, heb ik de buitenranden met donkereiken beits (op waterbasis) geschilderd. Het fineer op de panelen is enkel met een dun laagje gevernist, dit heb ik met een bus hoogglansvernis voor acrylverf van het merk Talens gedaan. Alle deuren in het woongedeelte van de boerderij waren glanzend vernist.
Hierna had ik de deur in elkaar gezet, maar ik vond de panelen eigenlijk nog wat te licht van kleur. Ik heb alleen de vernislaag op de panelen licht opgeschuurd en een laagje lichteiken beits (op waterbasis) op gebracht, maar het werd niet veel donkerder. Nu heb ik het maar zo gelaten, want je kunt fineer niet oneindig blijven schuren, anders houd je niets over 😋.
 
Before assembling the door, I painted the outer edges with dark oak stain (water-based). The veneer on the panels is only varnished with a thin layer, I did this with a spray can of high-gloss varnish for acrylic paint from the Dutch brand Talens. All the doors in the living area of the farm were glossy varnished.
After this I had put the door together, but I actually thought the panels were still a bit too light of color. I lightly sanded the layer of varnish only on the panels and applied an extra layer of light oak stain (water-based), but it didn't get much darker. Now I just left it that way, because you cannot sand veneer indefinitely, otherwise you will not be left with anything 😋.





Ik heb inkepingen gemaakt om de scharnieren in aan te brengen. De scharnieren zijn die van een oude houten sigarenkistje. Ik ga nog eens goed zoeken voor stevige mini scharnieren, zonder spijkers.
Ik heb de scharnieren er nog niet in gelijmd omdat de deurpost nog gemaakt moest worden. Nadat ik die voor beide zijden (de ingekorte is voor de kant aan de opkamer) klaar had, die ik heb gemaakt van profiellat dat ik al lang in huis had voor dit doel, moet ik eerst beide kijkkasten in elkaar zetten om te zien op welke diepte de scharnieren moeten komen. Dus het plaatsen/afhangen van de deuren komt pas later.
 
I made notches to insert the hinges. The hinges are those of an old wooden cigar box. I'm going to do another good search for sturdy mini hinges, without nails.
I haven't glued the hinges in yet because the door frame still had to be made. After I had finished the door frames ( the shortened one is going on the wall in the up stairs room), which I made from profile lath that I had already had bought for this purpose since a long time, I first have to assemble both roomboxes to see at what depth the hinges should be. So putting the doors in place will come later on.







De bij deze paneeldeuren passende ouderwetse specifieke houten deurknop heb ik zelf gemaakt van een 4 mm lang stukje “tiny turning” (ik heb intussen gehoord dat ze niet meer gemaakt worden..?) in tweeën gesneden. Hierop komt de knop van 6x3 mm, gemaakt van 2 mm dik jaloezie hout, zal op de basis van de deurknop worden gelijmd. Voordat de knoppen op de deur gelijmd worden, heb ik eerst een gaatje geboord van 1,8 mm in diameter en ze geschilderd met donkereiken beits (op waterbasis).
 
I made myself the old-fashioned specific wooden door knob that matches these panelled doors , from a 4 mm long piece of “tiny turning” (I have heard that these are no longer made ..?) cut into half. The knob itself of 6x3 mm, made of 2 mm thick venetian wood, will be glued on the doorknob base. Before gluing the door knobs to the door, I first drilled a hole of 1.8 mm in diameter and painted them with dark oak stain (water-based).


 


Ik ben redelijk tevreden over hoe de deur er nu uit ziet, maar over het donkerder maken (in kleur) van het paneelgedeelte moet ik nog eens even goed gaan nadenken. Op de oude foto’s kun je zien dat de panelen lichter zijn dan het deurframe zelf dus……heb ik wat huiswerk in denken te doen, ach, dit weekeinde schijnt het slecht weer te worden, dus... ;O)!
Blijf gezond, zorg goed voor elkaar en jezelf.
Dank voor jullie fijne reacties, een heel fijn weekeinde toegewenst!

 
I am quite satisfied of how the door looks now, but I have to think again about how I can make the panelled parts darker (in color). On the old pictures you can see the panelled parts are lighter in color than the door frame itself so…….I have to do some housework in thinking, ah well, the weatherforecast of this weekend is not good: rain and stormy wind, so… ;O)!
Stay healthy, take care of each other and yourself.
Thank you for your kind comments, I wish you a lovely weekend!

 
Ilona

15 opmerkingen:

rosethe-minima zei

Elle est vraiment SUPERBE cette porte, je suis époustouflée par ton talent Ilona, j'ai réalisé la porte de ma librairie, mais pour le mas, je vais acheter les 3 portes dont j'ai besoin ;)
Bon week-end ! Bises.

Sheila zei

Oh that's beautiful! I love the hinges especially!

Daydreamer zei

Dear Ilona, your self-made door is Beautiful! Even if it is not Exactly the same as the original ones! You have done a wonderful job with the wood grain painting (to make it look like the one in the pictures) even if it is not very "oak-like"! I used a similar method to make the doors in the Lovely Old Dollhouse... starting when I was a teenager and didn't have many tools or supplies... I could only make them "too thick" for realism. But all the trim in the house is also "too thick" so it balances in the end! LOL! (And I like the old home-made look in the Lovely Old Dollhouse). I understand your worries about the color not being dark enough... but most wooden items darken over time all by themselves! We think they were always dark... but usually they started out a lighter color... it is just that they were already "old" when we knew them! :) There are probably varnishes that can be "tinted" if you want to try to darken them more that way.... but I don't know any brands. Antique restorers might have some tips. I always look forward to seeing what you are making! Keep up the Great work!! :):)

PILAR6373 zei

Has hecho un trabajo perfecto con la puerta Ilona, no te preocupes demasiado por el color, ella se irá oscureciendo con el tiempo, aunque también puedes crear una pátina liviana oscura y ver el efecto que toma.
Las bisagras han encajado perfectamente, lo cual es maravilloso, a veces o casi siempre, suele ser lo que más me cuesta a mi.
Aquí también se prevé mal tiempo el fin de semana, podemos aprovechar para seguir creando!
Cuidaros.
Besos.

miniacollection zei

Great door and I admire you for making everything from scratch.
Geneviève

Tarnished Rose zei

It turned out wonderful! Such a beautiful door. As for the tiny turnings, you are correct, they are no longer made. I buy mine on Ebay whenever they turn up for sale, whether I need them or not.

Marilyn

Isabel Ruiz zei

Un gran trabajo. La vetas han quedado muy bien y también el tintado.

Contrastes-Rosa Mª zei

De nuevo prueba superada , el color si que parece más oscuro el de la foto escala 1:1 pero el resultado con las bisagras es fantástico, el pomo lo has ideado muy bien ; una pena que ya no se fabriquen esos listones. El pintado de las vetas es increíble, tienes una paciencia admirable y también una mano de ada. Te deseo un buen fin de semana, cuídate. Besos

Anna zei

What a lovely 'old' door. I really love how you have copied the painted woodgrain of the RL door even if you think the middle panels are still too light in colour.
Stay well and safe dear Ilona.
Anna x

carmen zei

un trabajo formidable, nada se te resiste!

Fabiola zei

It's a very beautiful door.

BiWuBär zei

I really wonder now... did I ever tell you before that you never stop to amaze me??? *LOL* The door turned out awesome and it's sooooo you that you tried to copy the wood pattern from the photo to your miniature version. Terrific... and although the colour is not yet what you wanted to achieve it looks very authentic. Noticing how you made those wonderful door knobs blew me away... what fiddly work... but worth every effort. I'm already looking forward to see more! ;O)

Hugs
Birgit

Marian zei

Me encanta esta puerta. El resultado es fantástico.
Un saludo

Alexandra Martinez zei

Hi dear Ilona, another great and hyper realistic work. You are the best. Take care xxx

Megan Schetsche zei

The door already looks stunning, Ilona, and I think small discrepancies such as the profile don't matter at all.
I recently dismantled a cheap wooden box and it had brass hinges with 'teeth' on the edge. To fit it to the box, they were just hammered in. I think this would be sturdier than nails, which I've never had any success with and once the teeth are recessed, one doesn't see them at all. This kind of hinge is not for sale anywhere I have seen, but they are small enough to work well for dollhouses so I will keep an eye open for them.