my e-mailaddress





vrijdag 17 juli 2020

Kleerhangers, of “knaapjes” / Coat hangers


Om de kleding van oma op te hangen in de kledingkast gebruik je kleerhangers, of “knaapjes” (wat ik vroeger een nogal vreemde uitdrukking vond ;O) ), zoals de mensen vroeger zeiden. Hier, in Nederland, waren de kleerhangers in de jaren ’50 van hout gemaakt en tamelijk  recht van vorm. Ik vermoed dat je in de jaren ’50 bij aankoop van kleding er een kleerhanger bij kreeg, waarop dan vaak de naam van het bedrijf op stond, noem het maar een soort van reclame maken. 

For hanging clotes in the wardrobe you use coat hangers, or “knaapjes” (literally translated: young boys), as people then were used to name them. Here, in The Netherlands, in the 50s, coat hangers were made of wood and they were quite straight of shape. I guess that in the 50s if you bought clothes, you got a coat hanger as a gift, whereon the name of the company was, name it a sort of advertising then.

In mijn voorraad had ik een paar papieren hangers, maar die vond ik te groot en niet zo mooi in mijn kledingkast voor mini oma ;). Ik weet echter niet meer zeker bij wie ik ze op een beurs gekocht heb, sorry. 

In my stash I had a few laser cut coat hangers of paper, but I didn’t like them to go into the wardrobe of my mini grandma ;). However I don’t know of whom I bought them on a miniature show, sorry.

Ik had nog een paar stukjes hout, overgebleven van een stuk lamel van een zonnescherm, hieruit heb ik de hangers gezaagd. Het hout is ongeveer 3 mm dik, maar na het gladschuren van de uitgezaagde hangers (met de Dremel), blijft er ongeveer 1,5 mm over. De breedte van de hangers is 33-34 mm.
Op het hout heb een ronde vorm getekend (zie foto) met behulp van een klein glaasje (diameter van 52 mm). Daarna heb ik de hangers uitgezaagd met een figuurzaag, een precisiewerkje, want als je de hangers uit één stuk wilt zagen zoals ik dat deed, dan moet je ook echt precies de vorm van de hangers uit zagen ;). 

I had a few wooden pieces, left over from a slat from a wooden sunscreen, from which I've sawn the hangers. The wood is about 3 mm thick, but after smoothly sanding the sawn coat hangers (with the Dremel), about 1.5 mm (in thickness) will remain. The width of the coat hangers is 33-34 mm.
I have drawn a round shape on the wood (see photo) with the help of a small glass (diameter of 52 mm). Then I sawed out the hangers with a fret saw, a precision job, because if you want to saw the hangers of one piece of wood, as I did, you have to cut/saw exactly the shape of coat hanger ;).

In sommige hangers heb ik inkepingen gemaakt, om rokken op te hangen ;).

In some of the coat hangers I made notches to hang skirts ;).


Voor het haakje om de hanger op te kunnen hangen, heb ik zeer dun ijzerdraad van 0,4 mm dik gebruikt. Met een boortje 0,4 mm heb ik precies in het midden van het houten hangertje (zowel in de lengte als de breedte!) een gaatje geboord. 

For making a hook to hang the coat hanger, I’ve used ver thin wire of 0,4 mm thick. With a drill (0,4mm) I drilled a hole exactly in the centre of the wooden hanger (in the length as well in the width!).

Vóór dat ik het ijzerdraad door het gaatje haal, buig ik aan een kant het ijzerdraad dubbel, ongeveer 1mm. Dan kan het draad niet door het gaatje glijden en er weer uit schieten. Trek stevig aan, maar niet te hard, anders breekt het dunne ijzerdraad! 

Before I get the wire through the hole, I bend one side of the wire double, about 1 mm. This way the wire can’t slip back again through the hole. Pull firmly, but not too much, otherwise the wire will break!

Maak met een rondbektangetje een haakje en knip dit glad af met een scherp tangetje. Mocht het nog een weerhaakje hebben, dan afknippen met een scherpe schaar en klaar is de hanger. 

Make a hook by using a round nose pliers and cut it off with sharp cutting pliers. If it still has a barb, cut it off with sharp scissors and the hook is ready.


Een afgebroken hanger kon nog gered worden, het is een hangertje voor kinderkleding geworden ;O).
One broken (during sawing) hanger could be saved, it became a hanger for children's wear ;O).



De kleerhangers zijn geschilderd met zeer sterk verdunde acrylverf in een beige kleur. De echte kleerhangers van vroeger waren gevernist met blanke lak en vergeelden na verloop van tijd. 

The mini coat hangers are painted with very diluted acrylic paint, in a beige color. The real life coat hangers of the past were varnished with clear lacquer and got yellowed over time.


Binnenmaat kast is 37 mm diep en 55 mm breed.
The inner size of the wardrobe is 37 mm deep and 55 mm wide.

Even kijken hoe de hangers in de kledingkast van oma hangen: mmm, niet verkeerd, toch??
Ik hoop dat ik het proces van hangers maken een beetje duidelijk heb uitgelegd? 
Ik ben al bezig met het naaien van kleding voor mijn mini oma, dat zullen jullie de volgende keer kunnen zien.
Blijf veilig en gezond, zorg voor elkaar en jezelf!
Dank voor jullie fijne reacties, een heel fijn weekeinde toegewenst!

Let’s see how the hangers look like in the wardrobe of mini grandma: mmm, not wrong, huh?? 
I hope the process of how to make coat hangers is clear enough for you?
I’m already busy with sewing clothes for my mini grandma, you'll see them next time.
Stay safe, take care of others and yourself!
Thank you for your kind comments, have a lovely weekend!

Ilona

16 opmerkingen:

Sheila zei

The amount of patience you have is staggering. The hangers came out so amazing looking.

Makes me feel guilty for using paperclips to make hangers. Yours are so pretty!

Sherrill zei

Those hangers look exactly like the ones I hung my clothes on when I was a girl. Ours often had the address and phone number of the dry cleaner. They lasted a long time so together they were like a history of where we lived. Yours are beautifully made.

Anna zei

Dear Ilona, you have made something as simple as the humble hanger simply delightful. They are so cute, with little notches and all. I have a few full size very old hangers from various places and I love them. Not just because they do hold my clothes nicer, but let's face it - wood is so much nicer than plastic and wire isn't it?
I will look forward to see what lovely clothes your mini grandma will keep on her beautiful hangers.
Have a lovely week,
hugs, Anna x

The grandmommy zei

I remember using those also in the United States! These look just like them. You did a wonderful job. Thanks for the tutorial!

Fabiola zei

Your hangers are perfect and Grandma just has to hang her clothes.

Jodi Hippler zei

Everything you make is elevated into an amazing, tiny replica of the real life version and these marvelous hangers are no exception! They are exceptional!
I am super excited to see the clothing you'll sew for the closet, too, because I know they'll be a delight to see, as well! Have fun with them!

Contrastes-Rosa Mª zei

Perfectas, así eran también las de mi abuela y todavía tengo alguna por casa.
Buen fin de semana, cuídate.Besos:-)

Isabel Ruiz zei

Muy realistas y perfectas para su uso.

rosethe-minima zei

Voici des cintres parfaits, Ilona !
Merci beaucoup pour les explications.
Bon dimanche ! Prends soin de toi. Bises. Joce

Eloisa zei

Son perfectas. Muchas gracias por las explicaciones.

Alexandra Martinez zei

Thank you for the tutorial!! I remember these hangers, they are just like the ones from my childhood. An yours of course, are just perfect. Can´t wait to see grandma´s clothes on them!

Marian zei

Me recuerdan a las perchas antiguas, yo creo que mi madre todavía tiene alguna en sus armarios.
Gracias por un tutorial tan completo; el resultado es fantástico.
Un saludo

PILAR6373 zei

Unas perchas perfectas! Muy bien realizadas.
Besos.

Marijke zei

Wat een kunstige knaapjes net echt!
fijne dag,
groetjes van Marijke

BiWuBär zei

I remember these too... so I can judge how well you made yours... eh... Grandma's. Did I ever tell you before that your attention to any and every (and I mean it - to ANY and EVERY) detail never stops to amaze me? ;O)

Wonderful work and although it's "just" a detail in a wardrobe we all know it will be there... even after being used for hanging Grandma's clothes. I'm so curious to see the "Farmer's couture" made by "Studio Ilona"... happy sewing!

Hugs
Birgit

Daydreamer zei

Heavens, Ilona, these hangers are incredible!!! I still have a few like these in my RL closet so I know what they look like for real! LOL! Your mini ones are just beyond amazing! And that you could tell us the size in mm of the drill bit you used.... I am astonished! But that is why they turn out so perfect! You master the details! I am in awe! Something so simple is a piece of art in your hands! Fantastic work!!! :):)