my e-mailaddress





zaterdag 6 juni 2020

Terug naar ‘school’ / Back to ‘school’

De kinderen van de basisschool gingen de afgelopen week weer terug naar school, iets wat mij ertoe heeft aangezet om ook weer de ‘studieboeken’ op te nemen en te zien op welke manier ik verder kon gaan met de bouw van mijn miniatuur boerderij (van mijn grootouders).

This past week the kids  here, in The Netherlands, went back again to (primary) school. It was for me the time of getting back 'to school' too and taking my ‘study books’ out and to see in what way I could make some progress with the build of my miniature farm (of my grandparents).



Een paar jaar geleden heb ik na veel zoeken twee boeken gevonden en kunnen kopen, die gaan over de bouw van een bepaald soort boerderij in de vorige eeuw (20e eeuw). Omdat de boerderij van mijn grootouders in deze streek staat en om het zo echt mogelijk na te bouwen, is dit boekje van onschatbare waarde voor mij. Ik ben het boek nu nog steeds aan het bestuderen.
Het andere boek gaat over de erfbeplanting bij dit soort boerderijen hier in deze streek, dus ook de streek waarin de boerderij van mijn grootouders nog steeds staat. Ik heb het gebruikt voor het maken van de ligusterhaag waarover dit blog bericht gaat.

A few years ago, after a long search,  I found and bought two books, who are about the build of a particular sort of farm in the last century (20th century). Because the farm of my grandparents is in this region and because I want to copy it in miniature as realistic as possible, is this booklet invaluable for me. I’m still studying this book now.
The other book is about the planting, which belongs to these types of farms here in this region, including the region where my grandparents' farm still stands. I’ve used this book for making the privet hedges what the subject of this blog post is.


Aangezien ik al jaren rondloop met het plan om de boerderij van mijn grootouders in schaal 1:12 in miniatuur na te bouwen, heb ik sindsdien ook foto’s van de echte boerderij in de jaren ’50 verzameld. Maar de enige foto van de achterkant, de keukenzijde, die op het noorden ligt, is deze die hierboven staat. Trouwens het poesje dat op deze foto staat, probeert uit een melkemmer wat melk te snoepen......de slimmerik ;O).
Ik heb me er altijd over verwonderd waarom er een stuk afgeknipt was….da’s een beetje vreemd, wat stond er op de andere helft…?
Veel is er echter niet op te zien, maar met een vergrootglas kon ik toch nog vaag een paar dingen op zien. Om meer informatie te krijgen, heb ik 25 jaar geleden al aan enkele (toen nog levende) familieleden gevraagd hoe de dingen eruit hebben gezien net na het midden van de jaren 50, mijn vroege kinderjaren.
Uit mijn eigen geheugen weet ik nog dat er een bloemen- en moestuin aan die kant van de boerderij lag, omzoomd met ligusterhagen, ongeveer 70 cm hoog. Met het maken van deze ligusterhagen in mini ben ik inmiddels begonnen.

Because it’s since many years now that I have plans to build in miniature 1:12 scale the farm of my grandparents, I’ve since then also gathered some pictures of the RL farm in the 50s. But the only picture of the rear side, the side of the kitchen, which is situated at the north, it this one here above. By the way, the kitten in this picture is trying to lick some milk from the milk bucket ...... clever kitten ;O).
I’ve always wondered why this picture was cut into half….it’s a bit odd: what was pictured on the other half…?
You can’t see much on it, but with a magnifier glass I vagely could still see some things. For getting more information, I’ve asked 25 years ago some (at that time still living) relatives about how some things have looked like then just after the midst of the 50s, in my early childhood.
From my own memories I know there was a flower and kitchen garden at that side of the farm, lined with privet hedges, of about 70 cm high. Meanwhile I started making these privet hedges in miniature.


Mijn plan is nu om stukken van deze bloemen-/moestuin in mini na te maken, maar om nu meters tuin te moeten na maken, enkel en alleen om ‘n paar foto’s te maken, vond ik te ver gaan. Het is niet alleen ondoenlijk, maar wáár laat ik die grote delen (opslag)? De (uit de kluiten gewassen) miniatuur boerderij bouwen en stofvrij opslaan in een kast is al niet mogelijk, laat staan een compleet boerenerf. Vandaar dat ik jullie nog steeds niets kan laten zien van de boerderij zelf, die nog steeds in stukken is opgeslagen in grote plastic bakken, simpelweg omdat ik er de ruimte niet voor heb L. Vandaar mijn besluit om de tuin in smalle stroken te bouwen, zodat ik die als coulissen kan gebruiken wanneer ik een scène van het boerenleven in de jaren ’50 aan jullie wil laten zien. Het doet me denken aan het landschap, waarin ik nu woon, het is in een kenmerkend zogeheten “coulisselandschap”, toevallig hè, of niet ;O)?

My plan is now for making smaller pieces of these flower and kitchen garden in miniature, because making more centimeters of garden, only for taking a few pictures, crossed the line for me. It’s not only impossible much work, but WHERE do I store those huge parts of garden? Building the huge miniature farm and storing it free of dust is just not possible for me, so a complete farmyard is completely out of my mind. That’s also why I still can’t show you nothing of the mini farm yet, which is now stored in parts in big plastic containers, simply because I don’t have enough space for it L.
Therefore is my decision to build the garden in small strips, so that I can use them as a sort of (theater) wings/scenes, when I want to show you a scene of farm life in the 50s. It brings me to the landscape, wherein I now live, it is a so-called characteristic “scenes/wings/coulisse landscape”, that's coincidentally, huh, or not ;O)?



Dus voor de corona crisis had ik al wat stroken MDF laten zagen en ben ik begonnen met het maken van de mini ligusterhagen. Eerst moet ik even zeggen dat ik jaren geleden al heel veel dingen heb verzameld, dus ik weet niet of het nu nog te koop is.
Ik heb in de voorgeboorde gaatjes stukje gedroogde tak gelijmd, die takjes had ik dus ook al voor dit doel gekocht bij het tuincentrum op de decoratieafdeling.

So, before the corona crisis started I’d already bought some strips MDF at the DIY and now I’ve started making the mini privet hedges. First, I must tell you that it has been years ago that I’ve started gathering many things fort his purpose, so I can’t tell you if things are still available/for sale.
In the pre drilled holes I glued in the dried small branches, which I’ve bought at the decoration section of our garden centre.



Voor dat ik verder ging, heb ik eerst het MDF in donkergrijs (matte krijtverf) geschilderd, ook een spaar millimeter aan de bovenkant van de zijkanten. Dit doe ik omdat als het MDF ietsje krom trekt door het beschilderen, je de zijkant kunt zien verschijnen en dat wil ik niet ;).

Before I continued, I fristly painted the MDF strip in a darkgrey (matte chalk paint), and also a few millimeter at the above side of the sides. I’ve done this because if the MDF will be warping a bit after painting, you can maybe see the sides and that’s a no go ;).


Na de donkergrijze onderlaag heb ik de stukken hier en daar bijgeschilderd met reebruine, lukraak gemengd hier en daar, met mosgroene krijtverf.

After the dark gray coat of chalk paint, I painted the pieces here and there with fawn brown, randomly mixed in here and there, with moss green chalk paint.



Toch was het niet naar mijn zin, het was veel te plat, er moest textuur in de ‘grond’ onder de heggen komen. Daarom heb ik de lagen nogmaals geschilderd maar dan door gebruik te maken van een acrylverf gemengd met een soort zand, gekocht in een modeltreinwinkel, op de foto zie je merk etc.

It was still not of my liking yet, it was way too flat, there had to be more texture in the ‘soil’ under the hedges. Therefore I’ve painted these layers again but than by using a sort of acyllic paint mixed up with a sort of sand, which I’ve bought it at a train modelling shop, on the picture you see the brand etc.



Ook na droging van het materiaal nodig vond ik het nodig om er nog één keer dezelfde laag op aan te brengen. Nu ben ik tevreden ;)!
Het volgende wat ik ga doen is het blad aanbrengen, maar dan moet ik eerst even gaan kijken wat voor materiaal ik daarvoor ga gebruiken. Wordt binnenkort vervolgd….

Also after it was dry I thought it was neccessary to add an extra layer of paint. Now I’m satisfied ;)!
The next thing I’ll do is gluing on the leaves, but therefore I firstly have to see of what material I’ll use. Soon to be continued….


(foto is bewerkt vanwege de privicay)
(photo is blurred due to the privacy)

Mijn pioenrozen stonden dit jaar prachtig in bloei, dankzij een speciaal dakje tegen de hete zon van de afgelopen periode. Hoe gek kun je op pioenen zijn ;)?!
Maar de foto daaronder is van mijn grote kleinzoontje, die houdt óók van de pioenrozen bij zijn moeder in de tuin, kijk maar hoe voorzichtig dat kleine manneke ruikt aan de bloemen...zó schattig ;O)!!
Dank voor jullie fijne reacties, allemaal een fijn weekeinde toegewenst!

My peonies were blooming beautifully this year, thanks to a special roof against the hot sun of the past period. How crazy you can be on your beloved peonies ;O)?!
But the photo underneath is of my big grandson, who also loves the peonies in his mother's garden, just look how careful that little boy smells at the flowers...soooo cute ;O)!!
Thank you for your kind comments, have a nice weekend!

Ilona

14 opmerkingen:

Sheila zei

I like how it looks.

If you're looking for dirt/texture try a mix of Elmer's Glue and dry coffee grounds. It looks just like dirt and you can then paint it if you need to. But it's a cheap way of getting texture without a lot of effort.

PILAR6373 zei

Hola Ilona,esos libros,son un tesoro para recrear en la granja todo aquello a lo que la memoria no alcanza,aparte de ser interesantes!
Me parece una gran idea el construir esa especie de "alas",que puedas abrir o replegar,es un buen ahorro de espacio,entiendo que construir todo el exterior sería mucho trabajo y mucho espacio ocupado!
Los setos ya se van definiendo,con la adición de hojas y sabiendo con la maestría que trabajan tus manos las plantas,quedarán fantásticos,no puedo esperar a verlos!!!
Nuestros niños no tendrán escuela hasta el curso que viene,sólo tienen clase los mayores que cambian de ciclo.
Amo tus peonías y las de tu hija y amo ese delicado niño que huele las flores! Las mías murieron éste año sin llegar a florecer nunca,por lo que estoy triste,pero disfrutaré de las vuestras!
Que tengas un bonito domingo Ilona!
Besos.

Contrastes-Rosa Mª zei

Muy buena planificación con tus recuerdos y con los libros, por eso te está quedando genial todos los elementos que nos vas mostrando.Tus setos ya tienen muy buen aspecto ,estoy deseosa de verlos florecer.Muy lindo tu nietos, ¡cómo pasa el tiempo!se ve el amor a las flores como las que salen de las manos de su abuela.Feliz semana y seguir disfrutando de tu familia,besos:-)

miniacollection zei

I can't wait to see the leaves glued...
Geneviève

Drora's minimundo zei

These books, especially for you, dear Ilona, are an invaluable treasure. When your project is completed, you'll be able to create an invaluable, best seller book of your own. I suggest that you copy your post pages and keep them safely apart from Blogger.
Your peonies are divine and I love the photo of your adorable grandchild smelling the flower.
Hugs, Drora

carmen zei

ese seto promete, y tus peonías me encantan...

Catherine zei

j 'adore l idée de votre projet . et je comprends que vous y pensiez depuis plusieurs années .
c 'est toujours étonnant de se pencher à nouveau sur nos souvenirs d 'enfance et d 'essayer de retrouver un sentiment " vrai " du passé . c 'est aussi une façon de rendre hommage à ceux qui ont vécu avant nous . j 'espère que vous arriverez à retrouver le maximum d' informations pour construire la ferme de vos ancêtres . on a toujours du mal à imaginer à quoi ressemblait la vie de nos grands parents . je n 'avais jamais réalisé avant quelques années que ma grand mere avait élevé 8 enfants sans machine à laver le linge et sans frigo .
oui , les jardins potager devaient être éssentiel dans ce temps là . j 'espère que vous arriverez à nous montrer tous ce qui correspondait à cette façon de vivre . chaque région devait avoir ses coutumes et son architecture spécifique .... la mondialisation n 'était pas passé par là ni Ikea :)
j 'ai hate de découvrir ce que vous aller faire pour les jardins en attendant de voir la ferme .

Jodi Hippler zei

I just love old books and I bet they are very fascinating to read! It seems also that you have found the perfect solution to space and display issues and just by making realistic props will allow you the impact that you wish to achieve! I am excited to see the leaf making process!
What a sweet boy and gorgeous peonies! It is lovely to have photos like this to remind us of our dear little ones and their personalities at certain ages! My kids and husband were also what we call "towheads", which in the US is what we call extremely blond children. It comes from the word "tow" which is another word for flax.:O)

rosethe-minima zei

La vie d'antan, c'est très intéressant de savoir comment et où vivaient nos aïeux.
J'ai des souvenirs vus et entendus surtout contés par mon grand-père maternel et par mes parents.
La première machine à laver le linge, de maman, qu'il fallait remplir et qui ne rinçait pas. Le lavoir où nous allions rincer les grosses pièces de linge. Donc un petit aperçu de ce que vivaient nos aïeux.
Je vais suivre l'évolution de ton projet avec plaisir !
Bonne semaine Ilona ! Bises.

Fabiola zei

These old books are very interesting.
The new project is fantastic and I'm curious to see the progress.
Your grandchild smelling the flower is adorable.

BiWuBär zei

These books you found are a real treasure and they are in the right hands now! I must say that I like Drora's suggestion very much about turning the posts showing how you're building your farm into a book to become a treasure for others. There are companies who offer this kind of print service, you should think about that! ;O)

The clever kitty made me smile and yes, who knows why the picture was cut into halves. I would suppose on the other half was somebody who said "Noooooo way, I'm looking too thick on that photo and my hair was not made and look at the clothes I'm wearing... where are the scissors???" *LOL* The start of your privet hedge is very promising and the idea to make this variable is brilliant.

I've enjoyed the photos of your peonies and your little star very much, he's a boy of excellent taste! But I suppose it must be in his DNA because there are rumours about his grandma loving peonies so much... To me it's amazing that your peonies are so much ahead of ours - but ours are coming now... hooray!!!

Hugs
Birgit

Isabel Ruiz zei

¡Qué bonitas las peonias! Yo solo conseguí que florecieran 2 años y después murieron.
Entiendo que para una buena ambientación de la granja además de los recuerdos es importante tener una buena información-Y por supuesto es importante la parte de huerta así que es buena idea que puedan anexar diferentes partes que puedan estar separadas.

Daydreamer zei

Dear Ilona, I Love your Grandparent's Farm... and the one you are slowly and patiently building will be Amazing when it is done! (I know these things take "some" time! LOL!) The privet hedge as Theatrical stage wings is just perfect! (I know this because I have so many "theater rooms" set up for my stories... it is useful to have pieces that can be moved around!!!) I will watch your method of building these hedges.... you know I Dream of making an entire Mini garden "someday"! The peonies with your Grandson's nose in action are gorgeous! Ours have just opened up at last! I am sure he will be learning the gardening skills at your side! Meanwhile, the books that allow you to research your Farm are treasures! I know you have excellent memories of this place so you will be building a Museum Piece at the very least! As always, I look forward to seeing what you will make next!!! :):)

elizabeth s zei

I am eagerly anticipating the further developments of your privet hedge Ilona! I love miniature gardens and will be taking mental notes on the process of your landscaping achievements! Already I can see the long term benefits of using strips of MDF as portable installations which are going to be a valuable assets on the mini farm and also for setting the stage for your other mini scenes, too!