my e-mailaddress





donderdag 4 maart 2021

Traploper / Stair runner

 Herken je dit misschien….? Op zoek zijn naar iets wat je lang geleden hebt aangeschaft, maar het niet kunnen vinden en verder zoeken totdat je eigenlijk niet meer weet wàt je aan het zoeken was….😀
 
Maybe you do recognise this…? Looking for something you’ve bought a long time ago, but not able to find it and looking further until you don’t know anymore what you actually were looking for…😀

…op die manier heb ik iets gevonden dat ik zocht, maar na nadere inspectie van de verpakking was het geen wonder dat ik het niet kon vinden. Ik zocht de traproedes, maar kijk eens naar bovenstaande foto: wat staat er boven de inhoud vermeld? Inhoud: mini lampje, voor het gebruik van een 12 volt transformator! Laten we eerlijk zijn: in een bewaardoos voor elektra zoek je dit toch niet...😜
 
…this way I’ve found what I was looking for, but after a better look on the packaging, it was no wonder that I couldn’t find it. I was looking for stair rods, but look at the above picture: what is on the packaging? Containing: mini light, for use with a 12 volt transformer!  Let's be honest: in a store box for electric things you don't look for this....😜

Nadat ik de traproedes had gevonden, bleken ze ook nog eens veel te dik te zijn om nu te kunnen gebruiken, dus was al het zoeken voor niets geweest. Maar ik vond wel mooie schroefoogjes in de verpakking, ook niet in verhouding, maar misschien bruikbaar voor iets anders..?
Na nog wat zoeken vond ik de restant stof die ik voor dit doel wilde gebruiken. Ooit gekregen van een vriendin, die naaister was. Het was een synthetische, mooie donkergroene stof, die door kon gaan voor getufte wol, die vroeger gebruikt ook wel werd voor o.a. traplopers.
 
After I had found the stair rods, they also turned out to be way too thick to use now, so all the searching had been in vain. But I did find good screw eyes in the packaging, also out of proportion, but maybe useful for something else ..?
After some more searching I also re-found the leftover fabric that I wanted to use for this purpose. Years ago given by a friend, who was a seamstress. It was a synthetic, beautiful dark green fabric that could pass for tufted wool, which was commonly used for stair runners, among other things.



Ondanks dat deze synthetische stof erg dun was, maar niet goed wilde plooien, heb ik er daarom voor gekozen om de stof van vlieseline te voorzien. Daarna kon ik de stof ook beter recht op de draad te kunnen knippen en had de loper extra stevigheid.
 
Despite the fact that this synthetic fabric was very thin, but did not want to fold well, I therefore chose to provide the fabric with fusible interfacing. After that I was also able to cut the fabric straight to the thread and the runner had extra strength.


En om een traploper netjes én veilig op de trap te vast leggen, gebruikte je de traproedes. De roedes gingen door schroefogen, die direct naast de traploper op de trap waren bevestigd. Nu ik die schroefogen uit de verpakking niet kon gebruiken, heb ik ze zelf gemaakt van gegloeid dun ijzerdraad, ooit gekocht in de hobbywinkel.
Ik knip een stukje draad af met een kniptangetje, draai dat om de punt van een prikpen en voilà je hebt je schroefoog van 1 mm diameter. De roedes zijn geknipt van gegloeid ijzerdraad van 0,8 mm diameter.
 
And to fix a stair runner neatly and safely on the stairs, you used the stair rods. These iron rods went through screw eyes, which were attached to the wooden stairs directly next to the stair runner. Now that I couldn't use those screw eyes from the package, I made them myself from annealed thin iron wire, once bought at the hobby shop.
I cut a small piece of wire with cutting pliers, wrap it around the tip of a lancing device and voilà you have your screw eye of 1 mm in diameter. The rods are cut (with pliers) from annealed iron wire of 0.8 mm diameter.




Na aftekenen van de plaatsen waarin de gaatjes voor de schroefogen moesten worden geboord, kon ik de traploper gaan vastzetten met de roedes. Meteen bij het plaatsen van de eerste roede kwam ik er achter dat de uiteinden te scherp waren. Bijschuren hielp niet, dus heb ik de uiteinden met zwarte matte nagellak aangestipt, waardoor ze nòg beter door de schroefogen gingen en de klus zo geklaard was. Met behulp van een Legosteentje waren ze zo droog.
 
After marking the places where the holes had to be drilled for fixing the screw eyes, I could fix the stair runner with the rods. Immediately when placing the first rod I found out that the ends were too sharp. Sanding down didn't help, so I dabbed the ends with black matte nail polish, which made them go through the screw eyes even better and the job was done in no time. They dried quickly, by using a Lego brick.

Om de traploper op zijn plaats te houden, nadat ik de volgende roede had geplaatst, heb ik steeds een Lego steentje gebruikt zodat de loper niet verschoof.
 
To keep the stair runner in place, after I had placed the next rod, I used a Lego brick so that the runner did not move of place.


Toch was ik nog niet tevreden, er ontbrak nog iets: de traploper was te nieuw! Dus heb ik er een nagelvijltje bij gepakt en heb ik de loper op de randen van de traptreden wat geschuurd om een ietwat versleten uiterlijk te krijgen.
 
Still I was not satisfied yet, something was missing: the stair runner was too new! So I grabbed a nail file and sanded the runner on the edges of the steps to get a slightly worn look.


Zo, de trap met traploper is klaar, maar de unit om hem in te zetten nog niet, dus op naar het volgende onderdeel.
Blijf gezond, zorg goed voor elkaar.
Dank voor jullie fijne reacties, hartelijk welkom aan mijn nieuwe volgers.
Iedereen een fijne vrijdag en weekeinde toegewenst.

 
See here, the stair case and the stair runner are ready, but the unit to put it in is not yet ready, so on to the next part.
Stay healthy, take good care of each other.
Thank you for your kind comments, and a warm welcome to my new followers.
Have a nice Friday and  I wish you a lovely weekend.

 
Ilona

17 opmerkingen:

rosethe-minima zei

Chercher permet de faire des découvertes parfois surprenantes ;)
Ilona ton escalier est très bien "habillé" !
Prudence. Bises.

PILAR6373 zei

Bueno, buscar en la "caja de los tesoros" a veces es frustrante, pero casi siempre encuentras algo que te puede servir! Eso te ha pasado con esa tela tan genial para poner en las escaleras, me parece que queda estupenda, se ve muy bien! La idea de hacer tu misma los enganches de la fijación, creo que ha sido la mejor decisión ya que así la puedes adaptar a la perfección, espero ver como resuelves las barras de fijación, estaré atenta Ilona.
Mientras cuídate mucho.
Besos

Contrastes-Rosa Mª zei

Genial como has solucionado el enganche para las barras pues muchas veces es muy difícil encontrar piezas tan pequeñas. El resultado es perfecto y rebuscar en las cajas viene muy bien, siempre se recuerda lo que almacenamos. Te deseo buen fin de semana, un beso

Mieke Miniatuur zei

Zo herkenbaar. Iets opruimen en dan echt weten waarin je het opbergt en dan een tijd later er achter komen dat het een stuk minder logisch is dan ooit bedacht hebt.
Jammer dat je het niet kon gebruiken. Gelukkig heb je inmiddels zo'n groot oplossend talent, dat je je hand niet omdraait om het zelf te maken.
De traploper ziet er echt mooi uit zo!

Groetjes Mieke

miniacollection zei

Yes, I do recognise this, and in that case I end up saying "but I'm sure I've got it so I should find it somewhere." While searching we also find something else we couldn't remember we had. Your stairs look great and what a good idea to give a worn look to the runner.
Geneviève

Alexandra Martinez zei

Good work. Your stair runner look very authentic. When I see how careful and attentive to detail you are, I feel a bit embarrassed myself as I am always ready to use shortcuts. I want to be like you Ilona!! Have a nice weekend 😊.

Marian zei

La tapicería que has elegido es maravillosa, queda fantástica.
La forma en que has solucionado el problema en las escaleras es sensacional y con muy buen resultado.
Un saludo

Jodi Hippler zei

It's so funny that the box was labeled as a light! No wonder you kept passing it by! But I like your solution so much better and it looks much more authentic! The fusible webbing was just the thing to make the fabric runner work, too. When you photograph these fabulous stairs after the house is finished. they are going to look so real! Amazing progress, Ilona! I can wait to see what you have in store for the farm house this spring!

Fabiola zei

The stair runner is perfect in every detail and looks very realistic.

BiWuBär zei

Haha, this is sooooooo familiar! Whenever I have to dive in my Sometime-for-Somewhat-boxes because I'm looking out for something I get lost in all sorts of "Oh, this was meant to be-used-as" and "Wow, this could be useful now as" up to "Eh... did we ever meet before???" *LOL* But I never have such a good excuse as you for not finding what I was looking for... you are able to blame it on the stair rods hiding in disguise as lights.

Although you wasted your time searching them because you found out that they would not fit they still served well for giving us a good laugh. Your homemade stair rods turned out stunning and I prefer the black so much more than brass. It was also a great thing to use the Vlieseline for the carpet... and a touch of genius to sand the fabric to give it that worn look. Stunning work - of course from you but we also need to give a honorable mention to the trusted Lego bricks! ;O)

Hugs
Birgit

Drora's minimundo zei

I love your clever solution for the stair runner. With the rods keeping the runner in place, the staircase looks convincingly authentic.
Yes, It happens to me too, finding something I was looking for for ages, unintentionally just by overlooking the fact that I forgot I myself put it there.
Hugs, Drora

Sheila zei

Your carpet rails are genius!

Isabel Ruiz zei

La tela es perfecta para alfombra y me encanta como quedan las barras de fijación.

Anna zei

The runner looks great, Ilona. I try to stay away from synthetic fabrics because they often don't drape well but using the fusible interfacing certainly was a perfect solution to that problem.
Your homemade stair rods and eyelets are perfect too - it seems no miniature hardware is ever to scale.
Have a lovely week.
Anna X

Huibrecht zei

Hoi Ilona,

Dat is een mooie loper. Het is mooi om te zien dat je uiteindelijk een eigen oplossing verzint voor bijvoorbeeld de roeden die mooier uitpakt dan wat je gekocht had. De trap schiet al heel aardig op, op deze manier. Blijf gezond en blijf lekker knutselen.

Huibrecht

Daydreamer zei

Dear Ilona, I have fallen behind on my commenting and reading blogs! I am trying to catch up... and you have gone "zooming" forward with your Farm house construction! The stair carpet with the "rods" you made looks perfect! I understand the part about the "miniature" ones being out of scale... there are many minis like that when you are looking for Perfection! This is something I admire about your creations... you really care about the scale in all it's ways... thickness and hardware included! The new rods and their "holders" are perfect in every way!!! Stay well, and keep making minis! :):)

Megan Schetsche zei

Thank you for sharing your process, Ilona. I'm working on a staircase at the moment. I might not put carpet on it, but if I do, I will definitely follow your method.
The staircase with its dark green runner looks very realistic. I hope your grandma's arthritis doesn't make it too difficult to go up and down.