my e-mailaddress





dinsdag 16 februari 2021

Bijna geen vingerafdruk meer over… / Almost no fingerprint left…

Snel even een keldervloer maken, ja, dat dacht ik echt hoor 😇!
Gewoon van passe-partout karton tegels snijden, vast lijmen en dan een beetje bewerken, maar…..dàt werd helemaal niet zoals ik het wilde hebben. Dus wat toen..?
 
Quickly making a basement floor, yes, that what I seriously thought 😇!
Just cutting tiles of passe-partout cardboard, glue them down and than a bit of editing, but….THAT was not as I wanted it to be. So, what next to do…?

Dit is de échte kleur van de vloer / This is the Real color of the floor

De vloer was klaar, maar het snijden van de tegels moest nog gedaan worden, dus daar ben ik mee begonnen. Na het snijden heb ik eerst van elke tegel de vier zijkanten bijgeschilderd met donkerbruine acrylverf, zodat na het voegen de witte zijkanten niet meer te zien zijn.

The floor were ready, but the cutting of the tiles had to be done yet, so that’s where I started with. After the cutting I firstly painted with dark brown acrylic paint all the four sides of every single tile, so that after the grouting the white sides would shown anymore.

Maar terwijl ik elk tegeltje opzij legde, na het beschilderen van de zijkanten, vond ik de tegels eigenlijk veel te nieuw lijken om in een boerderij (van toentertijd al 50 jaar oud) te liggen. Dus na wat nadenken besloot ik de tegeltjes een voor een te gaan bewerken met crème was voor krijtverf. Daarna zagen ze er nòg mooier uit, maar mijn bedoeling was dat ze d.m.v. de crème was beter beschermd waren tegen eventuele wateroplossingen die ik nog voor de afwerking zou willen (of kunnen) gebruiken.
 
But while I was putting aside each tile, after painting all of the four sides, I thought the tiles were actually looking far too new to lie in a farmhouse (of 50 years old at that time). So after some thinking I decided to edit the tiles one by one with cream wax, for finishing chalk paint. But after than they looked even more beautiful but my intention was that they were the cream wax better protected against any watery solutions that I would like (or could) use for the finishing.



Om de glans wat te verminderen, ben ik heel voorzichtig de papieren tegeltjes gaan schuren met ultra fijn schuurpapier. Dit ging verbazingwekkend goed, er kwamen geen stukjes verf los en ze werden mooi mat.
Helaas zie je op bovenstaande foto ernstig ‘beschadigde’ (bekraste) tegeltjes, maar dat komt door het scherpe daglicht veroorzaakt door de sneeuw buiten. In het echt zijn ze mooi en dof geschuurd, elk tegeltje heeft een eigen schuurpatroontje. 

To reduce the shine, I very carefully sanded the paper tiles, using ultra-fine sandpaper. This went amazingly well, no pieces of paint came off and they became beautifully matte.
Unfortunately, the photo above shows seriously "damaged" (scratched) tiles, but that is due to the very bright daylight, caused by the snow outside. In reality they are wonderfully sanded and matte, each tile has its own pattern after sanding.

Het gevolg was dat alle crème was er weer van af was geschuurd en om ze te beschermen tegen water moest ik weer opnieuw beginnen met ze stuk voor stuk in de was te zetten. Maat tegeltjes: 20 x 20 mm.

The result was that the whole layer of cream wax was sanded away and to protect them against water, I could begin all over again with putting cream wax on them, one for one. Size of the tiles: 20 x 20 mm.


Hierna ben ik de tegeltjes eindelijk gaan vast lijmen, maar niet nadat ik op internet had gekeken om te zien hoe ze traditioneel werden gelegd in boerderijen. Dat was dus op een verspringende manier.

After this I finally started gluing the tiles, but not after looking on the internet to see how they were traditionally laid in old farmhouses. So, I found out that this had to be done on a staggered(?) way.

Oké, tot zo ver ging het redelijk goed, maar dan….
Ik kwam aan bij het moment om te gaan voegen, maar in het echt werden deze tegels eigenlijk niet gevoegd, nee, ze werden in een bed van waterdichte specie gelegd. 
Goed, hoe moest ik dat in mini gaan doen..?
Na lang nadenken besloot ik toch te gaan voor het medium dat ik ook in de keuken heb gebruikt. Dit is een medium bestaand uit een acrylaatharsdipersie gemengd met zeer fijn gemalen puimsteen, zie foto. Normaliter is dat medium bedoeld voor een korrelige ondergrond te creëren om daarna met zachte pastelkrijt een tekening te maken. Na het voegen van de echte miniatuur tegels in de mini keuken (gekocht bij Romney Miniatures, website: https://www.romneymin.co.uk/ ), had ik hier goede ervaring mee, het werkte prima.
 
Okay, so far it went pretty well, but then….
I came at the point of starting to grout, but in reality these tiles were not actually grouted, no, they were traditionally placed in a bed of waterproof mortar. 
Well, how was I supposed to do that in mini ..?
After a lot of thinking, I decided to go for the medium that I also used in the mini kitchen. This is a medium consisting of an acrylic resin dipersion mixed with finely ground pumice, see photo. Normally, this medium is intended to create a grainy surface and then make a drawing with soft pastels. After having grouted the real miniature tiles in the mini kitchen (bought from Romney Miniatures, website: https://www.romneymin.co.uk/ ), I had good experience with this stuff, it worked fine.

De kelder heeft een apart gedeelte waarin later de keldertrap komt te staan, dus ik dacht voordat ik iets verkeerds doe, dan begin ik daar. Oh jee, wat een prima keuze!! Na het voegen van een paar tegeltjes zag ik een paar tegeltjes onder het 'voeglaag' verdwijnen en het was niet mogelijk om het restant er vanaf te vegen (het medium is sneldrogend). Het papier van de tegels nam teveel van het voegsel op en het bleef plakken waar het maar op kwam. Ik dacht: geen probleem, ik kan het er daarna weer van af schuren…..maar dat was ook niet mogelijk 😱.
 
The basement has a seperate section wherein later will go the stairs, so I thought before doing something wrong, let’s start in there. Oh my, what an excellent choice!! After grouting a few tiles I saw the tiles disappearing under the layer of 'grout' and I was not able to wipe away the residu (the medium is quick drying). The paper of the tiles took too much of the puimice and got stuck there where it was. I thought: no problem, I’ll sand it away afterwards….but that wasn’t possible either 😱.

Dus na een nacht goed laten drogen, heb ik de stoute schoenen aangetrokken en geprobeerd het teveel er af te schuren, maar dat ging echt niet. Ja, het geheel werd akelig mooi glad en zacht, maar er af ging het spul totaal niet. Wat nu?
 
So after letting it dry well overnight, I took the plunge and tried to sand off the excess, but that really didn't work. Yes, the whole surface became awfully smooth and soft, but the stuff didn't go off at all. What to do now?


Nou ja, nu was de vloer toch al verknoeid (dacht ik) en ik ben weer opnieuw begonnen, met beduidend wat minder voegsel, in de hoek ernaast. Maar ik had mijn lesje geleerd, dus veegde ik na elke voeg van elk tegeltje het overtollige weg met mijn vingers. Maar toen gebeurde er ineens iets. Misschien kennen jullie dat? Met één vinger begin je te werken, om er telkens een schone vinger voor in de plaats te gebruiken, totdat je natuurlijk zonder schone vingers zit ;). Zo was ik ook bezig en aangezien ik puur rechtshandig ben, kwam mijn linkerhand eraan te pas. Dus voegen, vegen en toen ging het tempo rap omhoog, waardoor het voegsel minder vat kreeg op de behandelde tegel en alles er ineens mooier uitzag. Kortom: ik was veel te precies bezig geweest en moest véél vlugger werken 😁.
 
Well, now the floor was now already messed up (I thought) and I started again, this time with significantly less grout, in the corner next to the first one. But I had learned my lesson, so after each joint of each tile, I brushed the excess away with my fingers. But then suddenly something happened. Maybe you are familiar with this? You start wiping with one finger, using a clean finger in its place each time, until you are of course without clean fingers ;). That's how I was doing and since I am purely right-handed, my left hand was involved. So grouting, sweeping and then the tempo went up rapidly, so that the 'grout' had less grip on the treated paper tile and everything suddenly looked more beautiful. In short: I had been working way too precisely and I had to work much faster 😁.


De rest van de tegelvloer ging vlot en zag er goed uit, het was naar mijn zin, maar dat stukje onder de keldertrap dan…? Daar ben ik begonnen met het lospeuteren van die ‘voeg’- laag om te kijken of ik het eraf zou kunnen halen. Nee, natuurlijk niet en tot overmaat van ramp scheurde het verflaagje er ook nog van af. Hierop heb ik besloten om met wat verdunde verf de beschadigde laag weer te schilderen en daarna nog iets voegsel er overheen gedaan. Het resultaat: een beschadigde keldervloer. Maar dat is ook geen wonder als je al meer dan 50 jaar steeds aardappelen op je hoofd hebt liggen, daar zat vast wel eens een rotte pieper tussen, toch 😉?!
 
The rest of grouting the tiled floor went smoothly and looked good, I liked it, but that piece of teh floor under the basement stairs…? There I started by pulling off that thick layer of "grout" in order to see if I could take it off. No, of course not, and to make it all worse, the paint layer also tore off. I than decided to paint the damaged layer again with some thinned paint and then add some grout over it. The result: a damaged basement floor. But that's no wonder if you've always had potatoes on your head for more than 50 years, now and than there must have been a rotten potatoe in between, right 😉?!



Nou, de keldervloer is betegeld zoals het hoort in deze boerderij, maar ik heb van al dat puimsteen geen vingerafdruk meer op mijn vingers 😬.
Nu kijken wat het volgende karwei gaat worden, dat is altijd een verrassing als je de boerderij van je grootouders in miniatuur na wilt bouwen. En door ook nog een beetje dicht bij de traditionele streekbouwwijze te willen blijven, kom je nog al hordes tegen, maar dit soort uitdagingen zijn altijd leuk!
Dank voor jullie fijne reacties, een hele mooie week gewenst.
 
Well, the basement floor is tiled as it should be in this farmhouse, but I don't have a fingerprint/profile on my fingers from using lots of pumice stone 😬.
Now let's see what's going to be the next job, that's always a surprise if you want to recreate your grandparents' farm in miniature. And also by wanting to stay a little close to the traditional and regional construction method, you will encounter hurdles, but these kinds of challenges are always fun!
Thank you for your kind comments, I wish you a lovely week.

 
Ilona

16 opmerkingen:

Nono zei

Wat een prachtig resultaat, Ilona! Laag na laag, product na product, de tegels zijn nu absoluut schitterend! Wat een werk, hé!!!
Bedankt voor jouw tutorial. groetjes; Noëlle

Contrastes-Rosa Mª zei

Wooo Llona que trabajo tan minucioso, te han quedado unas baldosas geniales y el aspecto es totalmente de una granja. El relato ha sido impresionante , no me he perdido ni una coma , gracias por esas explicaciones. Cuídate ,besos

Isabel Ruiz zei

Un gran trabajo. Están muy logradas.

Jodi Hippler zei

What an amazing result you achieved in spite of a few challenges! The floor is really lovely in an authentic and well loved kind of way! Perfect for the farmhouse basement!
I don't know how many fiascos I've had over the years with grout, but enough to make me try to find ways to avoid doing it! My new favorite and nearly foolproof method is to coat all the tiles in gloss glazing medium. I creates a tight shell over the tiles so that the grout wipes right off. Then, once the grout has set and dried, I paint over the tiles again in the finish I really want it to end up with. I have had a couple successes with this method so I think I'll stick to it. I hope you can give it a try sometime and that it works out great for you, too!

Anna zei

Oh dear Ilona, what a week you have had. I am glad you persevered with the floor as the result is so fabulous - even the 'damp & water' damage under the stairs seem perfectly authentic for an old farmhouse basement.
I hope your fingers feel better soon.
Anna x

Sheila zei

Oh dear! I've managed to sand off my skin as well. The result is so pretty but ouch!

I really love how the tiles look though. All that effort is well worth it.

rosethe-minima zei

Quel beau travail ! On apprend de ses erreurs et on recommence... Je connais ça. Tu es une perfectionniste.
La neige fond, depuis hier après-midi, les températures grimpent !
un temps complètement fou, moins 17° lundi matin et plus 7° ce matin.
Prends soin de toi Ilona. Bises.

PILAR6373 zei

Ilona el resultado es magnífico, el suelo se ve bien usado y esa pequeña zona más dañada es genial, aunque no lo hicieras con esa intención, es como si la humedad se hubiera apoderado de ése pequeño rincón del sótano!
Es verdad que con las lechadas, nunca sabes muy bien qué va a ocurrir, pero ahí está la diversión! Y de cada experiencia, aprendes algo nuevo.
Espero que tus dedos se restablezcan pronto para que puedas continuar con el magnífico trabajo de la granja!
Besos.

miniacollection zei

The floor looks fabulous, but what efforts and thinking to achieve it. You must be glad it's completed.
Geneviève

Drora's minimundo zei

That was a real challenge, and what's called "trial and error". The final results are really worth the hard work. Sorry Ilona, but I had to laugh at the "no fingerprints" a disadvantage if you play the piano but an advantage if you commit a crime and get arrested.
Hugs,
Drora

Angelsdoor * Penny zei

The work you have done on the tiles are just amazing.
Thank you so much for your visit and kind words.
blessings,
Penny

The grandmommy zei

You figured it out and it came out very nicely!

BiWuBär zei

While reading your post I was for sure suffering with you during this battle with the grout. My fingers are crossed that you're not using any apps needing to be approved by fingerprints (My bank would like its customers to do so).

But despite all difficulties and efforts you came along with a great result... and who knows, maybe there had been a little accident with a can of white paint some time ago in the grout area. ;O) And I had to smile at the beginning when you said you painted all edges of each tile... for you and your struggling for realism that is what everybody would expect. But I must confess that even I am doing the same in the meantime - something I would have considered as totally crazy back when I started with this hobby. *LOL* Your floor looks stunning - and my very best wishes for your fingers! ;O)

Hugs
Birgit

Megan Schetsche zei

Ilona, when I make teddy bears, I like the old worn look. But, once I've made a perfect new teddy, I feel too terrible to mess it up. I think it might have gone the same way with your floor. The 'accident' gave your tiles authenticity. Over decades, I'm sure there were some rotten potatoes, water seepage, and who knows what else ended up on the floor? Well done!

Joc zei

Ce carrelage est magnifique. C'est dommage d'avoir été obligée de le poncer mais le résultat le valait bien.

For the problem with your reading list, I did look at my own reading list for several weeks. When there are new posts, I see the same ones as on my left column, I don't see any posts that I could have missed. Maybe this problem will resolve itself.
Do you subscribe to all these blogs at the moment? Do you see the "unsubscribe" button on their blog or do you have the "subscribe" button ?

Huibrecht zei

De tegels zijn mooi geworden. De kalksluier onder de trap is misschien niet zo mooi, maar in de kelder van het oude huis van mijn ouders had je een vergelijkbare sluier in de hoek van de kelder. Dat was de hoek die in de winter bij hoog grondwaterpeil soms onder water kwam te staan.

En daar komt nog bij dat de trap het meeste aan het zicht zal gaan onttrekken.

Huibrecht