my e-mailaddress





maandag 9 november 2020

Suikerbietenoogst / Harvesting sugar beets



Een week of twee terug werden hier in de buurt de suikerbieten geoogst. De teelt van suikerbieten komt hier, in mijn buurt, niet zo heel veel voor. Daarom heb ik er foto’s van gemaakt, niet wetende dat ik deze later zou gaan gebruiken om miniaturen te maken😉.
 
A week or two ago, the sugar beets were harvested here. The cultivation of sugar beets is not very common here, in my neighborhood. That's why I took pictures of it, not knowing I was going to use it later on to make miniatures 😉.

Terwijl ik terug fietste naar huis, herinnerde ik me weer dat mijn Opa voederbieten aan zijn koeien voerde als ze in de winter op stal stonden. Vandaar gingen mijn gedachten nog iets verder en kwam ik op het idee om een aantal suiker- én voederbieten te gaan maken van Fimoklei. Want zeg nou zelf, mijn mini koeien moeten toch ook bijgevoerd worden als ze van de winter op stal komen te staan?
 
Whilst I was cycling back home, I remembered that my Grandpa fed his cows cut up mangel beets when they were in the stable in winter. From there my thoughts went a little further and I came up with the idea to make a number of sugar beets and mangel beets, from Fimo clay. Because let's face it, my mini cows also need to be fed extra when they are in their stable this winter, right?


Dus werd de kruiwagen uit de schuur gepakt en gingen Opa en Kleine Ikke op weg naar de akker om een paar suiker- en voederbieten uit te graven. De voederbieten waren voor de koeien, en de suikerbieten waren voor………..dat zullen jullie gaan zien in mijn volgende blogpost over een paar dagen 😊.
 
So the wheelbarrow was taken out of the barn and Grandpa and Little Me went to the field to dig out a few sugar beets and mangel beets. The mangel beets were for the cows, and the sugar beets were for..........well, you'll see this in my next blog post in a few days 😊.

Mijn Opa teelde voederbieten van een ras met een oranje kleur, de suikerbieten waren witter van kleur. Opa had een bietenmangel, waarmee hij de bieten in schijven sneed voordat hij ze aan het vee voerde. Die bietenmangel zal ik dus ook nog eens in miniatuur moeten gaan maken…
 
My Grandpa grew mangel beets of a variety with an orange color, the sugar beets were more white in color. Grandpa also had a mangelbeet cutter, which he used to slice the beets before feeding them to the cattle. So I will ever have to make that mangel beet cutter in miniature too...




Omdat het loof er vaak, met een draaiende beweging, werd afgehaald, heb ik maar twee koppen van de voederbieten met wat loof eraan gemaakt.
 
Because the leaves of the mangels were often removed with a quick, circular movement, I only made two heads of the mangel beets with some leaves attached.

Hier zie je links de suikerbieten en rechts de voederbieten/mangels liggen.
Here, you an see the sugar beets at the left and at the right the mangel beets.


Kleine Ikke heeft aan haar mini Opa gevraagd of ze een paar (klein uitgevallen) suikerbieten mocht hebben. Opa heeft ze apart gelegd, nu gaat ermee ze op weg naar Koos. Over een paar dagen weten jullie wat ze ermee gaan doen ;O).
Blijf gezond en veilig, zorg goed voor elkaar en jezelf.
Dank voor het lezen van mijn blog en jullie fijne reacties, tot over een paar dagen!

 
Little Me asked her mini Grandpa if she could have a few (which turned out smaller) sugar beets. Grandpa has put them aside for her, now she is on her way to Koos. In a few days you will know what they will do with it ;O).
Stay healthy and safe, take care of each other and yourself.
Thank you for reading my blog and your kind comments, see you in a few days!

 
Ilona

10 opmerkingen:

Drora's minimundo zei

This is what I love about your posts. Apart from your stunning, real-life looking miniatures, I learn about life on a Dutch farm was after WW2.
Thank you again, dear Ilona, for sharing these great photos. Now I'm curious to know what Little-You and Koos will do with the beets.
Stay safe.
Hugs, Drora

rosethe-minima zei

Cette mini ferme vit comme une vraie !
Voilà de belles betteraves, les vaches seront bien nourries cet hiver !
A bientôt, j'ai hâte de découvrir ce que vont devenir les petites betteraves. Bises.

miniacollection zei

How sweet it is to see little you with Grandpa. All your beets are wonderful. In my region there are a lot sugar beets and when it's time to bring them to the factory that makes sugar you can't see some dropped ones on the roads. Also when you drive near the factory the smell is not always very nice.
I'm looking forward to seeing what they're going to do with them.
Geneviève

Sheila zei

Can't wait to see who gets to eat the sugar beets.

I learn something new every time I read your blog.

Alexandra Martinez zei

Hi Ilona! It´s good to learn a few things while enjoying minis. I did not know mangel or sugar beets, I only know red beets, which by the way I like a lot! Let me tell you that you have made some beautiful photos here, you are a lady of many talents. The photos are very evocative and I have enjoyed very much seen little you and your mini grandpa working together. xxx

Isabel Ruiz zei

¡Qué maravilla de escenas y de pequeñas remolachas-!

Daydreamer zei

I would never have guessed what the sugar beets were for!!! But we do use pumpkins over here....! As usual, you have made an educational and fascinating story out of this mini creation! I just am So inspired by your work! Thank you for everything you share! :):)

Fabiola zei

This Dutch farm is full of life. The scenes with little you and Koos are so sweet.
All your mini sugar beets are perfect and I'm curious to see who will eat them or what they will be used for.

BiWuBär zei

Like the others already said - you never stop to fascinate me with those wonderful memories and details of the Dutch farmlife back in the 50s being transfered into stunning miniatures. The arrangements for your photos are gorgeous and very touching - and the beets you've made are awesome. Well, what else to expect from you... *smile*

In my area growing sugar beets and mangel beets (in German they're mostly called "Futterrübe" = fodder beets, but sometimes they're also called "Mangold") is also very common. The harvest of sugar beets has an own name, they don't call it beet harvest or crop or anything you'd expect but "Rübenkampagne" = beet campaign. No idea where this is coming from...

Hugs
Birgit

Anna zei

Dear Ilona, who would have have thought that beets, that normally just look like piled up lumps of dirt, could look so lovely and cute? LOL.
Your mini versions are fabulous and I am quite certain the mini cows will appreciate you making them some winter feed.
Hugs Anna X