my e-mailaddress





woensdag 23 oktober 2019

Een (niet zo kleine) miniatuur rups / A (not so tiny) miniature caterpillar


Vorige week was ik aan het wandelen met mijn kleinzoontje van 15 maanden in de kinderwagen, toen wij onderweg zomaar een donkerharige rups tegenkwamen. Mijn kleinzoontje keek met interesse en verbazing naar dat rupsje, dat vrolijk over de stoep rond hupste. We hebben er samen een tijdje naar gekeken, dat gezichtje van mijn kleinzoontje in volle verbazing was zó leuk om te zien :)!
Een paar dagen voor onze ontmoeting met de rups op de stoep, had ik bij de kringloopwinkel een prentenboek gevonden over een rups, die zich vol eet om daarna in een mooie vlinder te veranderen. Dus thuis gekomen, heb ik het boekje tevoorschijn gehaald en ben ik gaan kijken hoe ik een rups voor dat boek kon gaan maken.

Last week I was walking with my grandson of 15 months old in his pram, when we came across a dark haired caterpillar. My grandson looked with lots of interest and astonishment to this creature, that was cheerfully hopping around on the pavement. Together we’ve looked at it for awhile, the face of my grnadson in full astonishment was so nice to see :)!
Coincidentally a few days before our meeting with the caterpillar, I’ve found in the thriftstore a picture book about a caterpillar, who’s eating lots for than changing into a beautiful buterfly. So, when I came back home, I looked up this book, seeing how I could make a caterpillar for this picture book.



Mijn eerste poging deed ik met een geleende punnikklas, maar de rups had meer weg van een grove gebreide slang dan een rups, nee, dat was niks voor mijn 15 maanden oude hartendiefje! 
Voor informatie over punniken: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punniken
En wat nu? Dan maar dunne breinaalden (1,5 mm) opgezocht en met dunne katoenen garen kwam er zo waar een rupsje van m'n naaldjes gehupst.

My first attempt was by using a borrowed knitting spool, but the caterpillar looked more as a coarse knitted snake than a caterpillar, no, that wasn’t what I wanted for my 15 month old sweetheart! 
For more information about spool knitting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spool_knitting
Well, what now? I than tried my thin knitting needles (1,5 mm) and after knitting with thin cotton thread a caterpillar hopped of my needles.



Kopje en lijfje zijn los van elkaar gebreid, daarna zijn ze opgevuld met 5 houten kralen in het lijfje en een iets grotere voor het kopje. De kralen in het lijfje zijn met elkaar verbonden, zodat het rupsje zich kronkelend door het boekje kan “eten” ;O.

Head and body are knitted separately, then they are filled up with 5 wooden beads in the body and a slightly larger one for the head. The beads in the body are connected to each other, so that the caterpillar can "eat", whilst meandering itself through the booklet ;O.



Hierna heb ik een gezichtje op het koppie geborduurd met gebruik van naaigaren. Op zijn koppie zijn de voelsprietjes gemaakt van geel katoen garen, waarin knoopjes zijn gelegd. De pootjes zijn gewoon zwarte streepjes geborduurd op het buikje, want het rupsje moet natuurlijk wel ongevaarlijk zijn (in gebruik) voor kleine kinderen!
Het rupsje meet 7 cm in lengte.

After that I embroidered a tiny face on the head, using sewing thread. On his head I made a pair of antennae out of yellow cotton thread, in which I made some knots. The tiny paws are just embroidered black stripes on its belly, because of course this caterpillar must absolutely not be dangerous (in use) for small children!
The caterpillar measures 7 cm in lenght.




Nu is het rupsje klaar om zich tegoed te doen aan allerlei lekkere vruchten in het boek.
Inmiddels ben ik weer begonnen met miniatuur bloemen maken, maar bloemen maken is nu eenmaal behoorlijk tijdrovend, dus duurt het nog eventjes voordat ik hier wat kan laten zien.

Now the caterpillar is ready to indulge in all kinds of tasty fruits in the book.
In the meanwhile I've started making miniature flowers again, but making flowers is quite timeconsuming, so it takes a while before I can show you something here on my blog. 



Hier in Nederland is de herfst in volle gang, inmiddels hebben we eindelijk regen gehad, nog lang niet genoeg in mijn regio, maar toch. De zomer is weg maar geeft als toetje vandaag en morgen mooi zonnig herfstweer, dat wordt wandelschoenen aan en fijn een flinke wandeling maken in de mooie herfstachtige natuur.
Bedankt voor jullie fijne reacties, een fijne week toegewenst!

Here in the Netherlands the fall is in full swing, we have finally had rain, not nearly enough in my region, but still. Summer is gone but as a dessert today and tomorrow we will have beautiful sunny autumn weather, that means that I'll put on my walking shoes and taking nice long walks in the beautiful autumnal nature.
Thank you for your nice comments, have a nice week!

Ilona

13 opmerkingen:

Sheila zei

Oh! That book was a huge hit with my little brother when he was young. I wish I'd thought of making an actual caterpillar for him then. Genius idea! I love how yours came out. So cute!

Sherrill zei

Oh my! That little caterpillar is the cutest! It looks so happy working its way through the book, I can almost hear your grandson giggling all the while. Very clever.

Huibrecht zei

Hallo Ilona, wat is die rups leuk geworden! Dat gaat vast een succes worden bij jouw kleine hartendief. :-)

rosethe-minima zei

Comme elle est mignonne cette petite chenille !
Les enfants découvrant le monde qui les entourent nous émerveillent toujours.
J'ai repris mes belles balades dans la nature et déjà ramassé 7 kilos de noix !
Belles promenades Ilona ! Bises. Joce

Joc zei

Mes enfants adoraient les objets passant à travers les pages, mais je n'ai jamais pensé à en tricoter une.

Your cattepillar is very nice with 1.5 knitting needles.

miniacollection zei

Your caterpillar is vey cute. You must have a great time with your grandson.
Geneviève

BiWuBär zei

One day your darling grandson will be old enough to realize how extraordinarily special his grandma is! ;O) What a cute idea to turn your little adventure of meeting a caterpillar into a memory to treasure and keep. And I really like the Dutch word "rups" (so much better than our German "Raupe"), sounds so cute and just perfect for the little critter you've brought to life.

But I'm sorry there's one critical thing I have to mention - why on earth did you have to show (from all the pages in this lovely book) the strawberry page??? I'm in serious trouble now with a certain fellow hanging on my monitor shouting "Oh my, sweet red juicy aromatic strawberries!" *LOL*

Hugs
Birgit ;O)

Contrastes-Rosa Mª zei

¡Cómo pasa el tiempo,ya 15 meses!me imagino su carita al ver la oruga y ahora con ese cuento y la simpática oruga de punto estará muy feliz. Disfruta de él y de esos agradables paseos.Un beso:-)

Fabiola zei

Your caterpillar is so cute. Your grandson will be very happy.

PILAR6373 zei

Que preciosa oruga has hecho! ya ves que también eres talentosa para las agujas Ilona,Fedde estará encantado con ella y disfrutará cuando vaya comiendo todas las frutas del libro!!!
Aquí también ha llovido,pero el fin de semana habrá altas temperaturas no correspondientes al otoño,el clima está cambiando.
Besos.

Drora's minimundo zei

Your beloved baby grandson is so lucky to have you. The little caterpillar is very cute and I love the way the beads make it flexible.
Hugs, Drora

elizabeth s zei

I KNOW that your "Not so small" miniature caterpillar is going to become a treasured keepsake for your little grandson, however you may end up making an entire family if he wears this one out! :D

Xandra Dekker zei

Wat enig rupsje nooit genoeg in mini :)