my e-mailaddress





zondag 17 februari 2019

Welkom in Oma’s boerenkeuken / Welcome in Grandma’s farm kitchen


‘Welkom’ staat er op de kokosmat bij Oma’s keukendeur! Dat stond natuurlijk niet op de deurmat van mijn oma, want dit soort deurmatten hadden ze in de jaren ’50 nog niet ;).
Maar……welkom was je wel!

‘Welcome’ say the words on the doormat (made of coconut fibres in RL) at grandma’s kitchen door. These words were not on the doormat of my grandma, of course, because in the 50s you did not have these sort of door mats ;)! But…..of course, you were welcome!





Die kokos deurmatten gleden altijd naar binnen (of naar buiten), als je haast had, ze lagen zelden op hun plek. Er op vallen was niet echt lekker aan je handen of knieën, want die kokosvezels waren erg borstelig/ruw.
Om ook zo’n keukenmat in mijn minikeuken te kunnen leggen, zocht ik in mijn spullen naar iets waarvan ik de mat zou kunnen maken. Het werd een stukje nepbont (Action) dat ik bewerkt heb met houtlijm, verdund met water, en na even uitproberen voegde ik wat acrylverf toe in de kleur van kokosvezel, roodachtig bruin.
Op een oude prikmat heb ik een stukje bakpapier gespeld en daarop het stukje nepbont vastgeprikt met spelden, zodat het recht bleef liggen tijdens het schilderen, en drogen.
Sorry, voor de laatste wazige foto, maar werkend bij kunstlicht was de uiteindelijke kleur moeilijk te zien. Deze foto is genomen bij daglicht en de enige die de kleur goed liet zien. Zien jullie de donkerder gekleurde “vieze voeten stappen” op de mat ;)?

These sort of doormats were always sliding inside (or outside), if you were in a hurry, often they were rarely in place. If you fell on these mats with your hands or knees, it did hurt, because the coconuts fibres were quite bristly/coarse.
For also wanting this sort of doormat in my mini kitchen, I was looking in my stash for something ofwhich I could make this mat. There was a piece of faux fur (bought in a shop named Action) which I’ve edited with PVA wood glue, diluted with water, and after a try out I added a drop of acrylic paint in the color, for getting the right reddish brown color.
On an old prick mat I’ve pinned a piece of baking paper, as protection and theron I pinned the piece of faux fur, so it stays straight there while painting, and drying.
Sorry, for the last blurry photo, but the eventual color wasn’t well to see, because I was working in artificial light. This photo was taken at daylight and the only one, who showed well the right color. Can you see the more dark colored “dirty foot steps” on the mat ;)?





In de keuken van mijn grootouders lagen grijze estriken, ofwel vloerplavuizen. Deze minitegels heb ik gekocht bij Romney Miniatures VK. Je kunt het bijna niet zien, maar er zit minuscuul verschil in hoogte, waardoor de vloer een beetje ongelijk wordt: dus, ze waren excellent voor mijn niet perfecte keukenvloer ;D!
Na het aanbrengen van een donker antracietkleurige onderlaag met krijtverf, ben ik met houtlijm de tegels gaan opplakken. En ik heb gemerkt dat als ze eenmaal op het MDF gelijmd waren, ze er niet eenvoudig weer van af gingen.

On the kitchen floor of the farm of my grand parents were grey slabs, floor tiles. These mini tiles are bought at Romney Miniatures UK. You can’t see it nearly, but there is a miniscule difference in height, whereby the floor looks a bit uneven: so, they were excellent for my imperfect kitchen floor ;D!
After applying a underlayer of acrylic paint (antracite color), I glued the tiles using PVA wood glue. And I noticed that once they were glued on the MDF material, you couldn’t get them loose simply.





Omdat de tegels ongelijk waren heb ik de gebruiksaanwijzing, die ik van Liz (Romney) had gekregen, veranderd. Ik heb de tegeltjes nadat ik ze had opgeplakt, geschuurd, waarbij er al snel veel poederachtig materiaal van af kwam. Aangezien de tegeltjes een mooie mix aan textuur hadden, wilde ik er niet te veel van afschuren. Dus om te voorkomen dat ik te veel afschuurde ben ik ermee gestopt en ben gaan voegen.
Vaak werk ik met de middelen die ik bij de hand heb, dus óók dit voegen heb ik anders gedaan dan anders. Ik heb een medium gebruikt dat normaal gebruikt wordt om een ondergrond voor te pastelleren te creëren. (zie mijn bericht over het mini kolenhok)
Na het opbrengen tussen de tegels veeg je het teveel aan ‘voegsel’ metéén weer weg met een vochtige doek, anders hecht dit spul direct op je tegeltjes en krijg je het er niet meer af. Daarom heb ik steeds ongeveer 4 tegeltjes gevoegd, afgeveegd met een vochtige doek en pas daarna de volgende tegeltjes.

I’ve changed the instructions, I got from Liz (Romney), because the tiles were unequal. After I glued the tiles, I sanded them, whereby soon came off alot of powdry dust of the tiles. But because the tiles had a lovely texture, I didn’t want to sand off too much. So to preventing this, I stopped and grouted them.
I often work with materials I have at hand, so also for the grouting process I’ve used something else, as was advised. I’ve used a medium that normally is used by creating an undergound for working with pastels. (see my post of the mini coal shed)
After applying this (grouting) stuff between the tiles you immediately have to wipe off the excess, because otherwise it will stick on the slabs and you can’t get rid of this stuff.  Therefore I grouted about four tiles, wiped them off with a damp cloth and only then I continued to the next set of four tiles.




Een paar keer heb ik tijdens het lijmen iets te hard op een tegeltje gedrukt om het vast te zetten, waardoor het brak. Ik heb dat mooi laten zitten, want Oma’s tegelvoer had hier en daar ook een kapotte estrik, met een barst of stukje eruit. Het was een oude boerderij ;O.

During the gluing process, a few times I pushed too hard on a tile for setting it on the floor, whereby it broke. I love this sort of accidents, because grandma’s kitchen floor here and there also had a broken, or chipped tile. It was an old farm ;O.



Tenslotte heb ik de vloer in de crèmewas (voor krijtverf) gezet om een matte uitstraling te krijgen, ik heb geen vernis gebruikt, zoals voorgeschreven.

At last I put wax cream (for chalk paint) on the floor for getting a matte look, I haven’t used varnish, as recommended.






Eind januari, op de miniaturenbeurs te Houten, had ik aan Arjen Spinhoven (Miniaturen) gevraagd of hij misschien (aan de hand van een foto)een paar afvoerputdekseltjes voor mij zou kunnen maken. Hij heeft er een paar voor mij gemaakt, maar ik, sukkel!, was vergeten om hiervoor wat ruimte in mijn keukenvloer open te laten :O!
Dus moest ik de vloer openbreken, zo voorzichtig mogelijk, en omdat het putdekseltje ietsje dikker was, moest ik ook wat laagjes van het MDF afsnijden met een stanleymesje.
Daarna heb ik het gat weer bijgeschilderd met de donkere antraciet krijtverf, en dan wat donkerbruine nagellak, om het water onder het dekseltje, na te bootsen.
Het putdekseltje is beschilderd met Humbrolverf, in twee tinten bruin, zodat het een roestig gietijzeren uitstraling kreeg.

At the end of January, at the miniatures fair in Houten, I asked Arjen Spinhoven (Miniatures), if he could make me some lids for a drain (on basis of a picture). He made some lids for me, but I, oh fool!, was forgotten to create some space for it in my kitchen floor :O!
So I had to break open the floor, as careful as possible, and because the lid of the drain was a bit thicker, I had to remove some layers from the MDF with an hobby knife.
After that I painted the hole with chalkpaint in an antracite color, and than a few drops of dark brown nailpolish, for imitating the glittering water, what always is under this sort of lids.
The lid is painted with Humbrol paint, in two brown shades, so it got the look of cast iron.



Hierboven kun je het putje onder het aanrecht zien, voordat ik er een gordijntje voor maak. Het was een veel werk voor iets wat je bijna niet kunt zien, maar om met Betsy te spreken: ik wéét dat het er zit ;)!
Hierna heb ik de keukenvloer nog wat vlekken gegeven, waarom…..? 
Dàt zal later wel blijken!
Bedankt voor jullie fijne reacties, een fijne zondagavond en nieuwe week gewenst!

Here above you can see the lid under the sink, before I’ll cover the open cabinet with a curtain. It was a lot of work for something you nearly can’t see, but to speak with Betsy: I know it’s there ;)!
After this all I’ve created some spots/stains on the kitchen floor, why…..? 
That’s something you’ll see later on!
Thank you for your kind comments, have a lovely Sunday evening and new week ahead!

Ilona

15 opmerkingen:

carmen zei

me encanta ese suelo!

Isabel Ruiz zei

Me gusta mucho como ha quedado el suelo y me encanta el detalle del desagüe.

PILAR6373 zei

Que bien simula el felpudo el trozo de piel sintética después del teñido! Y el suelo me encanta,con su aspecto envejecido y esas alcantarillas,me parece precioso!!
Besos.

miniacollection zei

Great floor for the kitchen and I love the detail of the lid for a drain. Wonderful doormat too. I'm looking forward to seeing your next post to know more about the stains on the kitchen floor.
Geneviève

Giac zei

Hallo Ilona,
Je doet echt geweldig werk! Het vloerkleed is fantastisch en ziet er zo realistisch uit. het namaakbont gebruiken was geniaal en je transformeerde het tot in perfectie. En verwennerij over perfectie, goed gedaan op die prachtige vloer. Het ziet er zo realistisch uit en de afvoer is visueel een ongelooflijke aanraking en ongelooflijk goed gedaan.
Grote knuffel
Giac

Piikko zei

Oh, my dear Ilona! You have had a lot of work with the mini floor. You could almost make a real size kitchen's floor in same time. But.. this floor looks awesome! I know that there is something very special comeing on it!♥
Have a lovely week! Hugs, piikko

Sheila zei

Your floor looks wonderful. Just like a working kitchen floor that's lasted generations should.

Daydreamer zei

Dear Ilona, it is so wonderful to see you going "full steam ahead" with this kitchen!!! There is no stopping you now! The floor is fantastic... and using real slate is a challenging thing to work with! Your "drain" looks so real.... it is a shame it will be hidden.... but you know I understand! :) These things just HAVE to be there!!! LOL! I love the mat at the door... yes we have them too and you always trip over the edges! But they are great for scraping dirty boots clean! And on a Farm.... that is a necessity! I am enjoying this project so much... I can't wait to see what you will make next!!! :):)

Alexandra Martinez zei

You are recreating the most realistic and charming farm house ever. I love every detail and all the character you are adding. You did an amazing job with the tiles, that floor looks exactly as the floor of and old and busy farmhouse kitchen would look, great job! The mat is also fantastic, I love the fact that you can see dirty foot steps!! Brilliant. And of course the lid of the drain is just such a great idea. You are right, you know is there, and now we do as well, awesome!

elizabeth s zei

Your kitchen floor and your welcome mat look quite wonderful Ilona and I especially like the authentic drain-cover! :D

Contrastes-Rosa Mª zei

Genial el suelo Llona me encanta y el detalle del drenaje,una idea fantástica.Besos:-)

Maria Ireland zei

Wow that kitchen floor is amazing. The drain is cute lol. Your welcome mat looks so real and yep it hurts hands and knees if you fall on it :)
Looking forward to seeing more of this amazing kitchen.
Hugs Maria

Brandy Wilcoxen zei

I love the addition of the drain. Such wonderful detail!

Fabiola zei

The floor is perfect for this kitchen and the drain look so real. I'm curious to see more.

BiWuBär zei

Around here we have a suspect for being responsible for the dirty boot marks on that terrific doormat - but please tell Grandpa we'll keep his little dirty secret! ;O) I really love the Action shop - you can always find something stunning and helpful there - but who would have guessed they're even offering stuff for making coconut doormats in miniature? Your floor was for sure a lot of work but it turned out awesome - and I can only agree, the "damages" only add to the realism, there will always be a heavy piece testing the theory of gravity every now and then leaving a mark on the floor afterwards. And this drain is the most wonderful detail… I somehow envy you that you were able to ask Arjen to do this just for you, I really love his work. And although it was without doubt a lot of extra work to make this fit after the tiles were glued it seems to me that this was not that bad after all - the uneven edges you had to cut look very realistic to me having in mind that back then you had only heavy tongs to cut this sort of material. Fantastic work - and I'm already forward to learn about the stains!

Hugs
Birgit